Ribbons On Cakes Please Help!!

Business By Yankie Updated 28 May 2009 , 7:10pm by leah_s

Yankie Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 7

A customer wants me to use ribbons on a cake..around each tier. I have seem many cakes on here like that. But my question is which one should I get is there a particular brand for cakes....i'm concerned about the color bleeding on the cake...can I use satin ribbons. Do I need to put something else under the ribbon for protection. PLEASE HELP!!

6 replies
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #2 of 7

I personally wouldn't use ribbons on cake but I've heard people use wax paper or tape the back side of the ribbon so the tape seals it up.

Good luck.

cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:27am
post #3 of 7

Someone on here suggested contact paper on the back of the ribbon.

springlakecake Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:37am
post #4 of 7

I don't think you have to worry so much about the color bleeding onto the cake as the grease bleeding onto the ribbon icon_lol.gif I have heard of some people "pre-greasing" the ribbon with pam or something so that it is at least all uniformly greasy. I don't know if it works or not.

Tellis12 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

I haven't had a problem with grease spots if my icing is well crusted before I put it on the cake. You might post this question in the cake decorating forum. Other people might have more knowledge.

2kiddos Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 7

The first time I used ribbon, it was black ribbon on buttercream, and it bled terribly! After seeking advise here on CC, I had a couple of great tips, including "pre-greasing" the ribbon with shortening. I recently tried that, and it worked like a charm! No bleeding, and didn't have to worry about splotchy grease spots, since it was evenly (lightly) greased with shortening. I've done that every time since, and never had a problem with bleeding again!

leah_s Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 7

Truly, you should only use edible ribbon anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%