Roses On Wires??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 30 May 2009 , 4:12am by txnonnie

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 10

I am trying to make some roses, and put them on the florist wire. But instead of fondant, I am using a mix of 2/3 fondant, to 1/3 modeling chocolate. They are still coming out too soft!

What do you all use to model your roses and your other flowers?? I have made roses using all fondant, but fondant just does not taste too good.

Anyone have any suggestions about what I am doing wrong??

Thanks!

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

What part is too soft?

And for me I don't worry about the roses tasting good. They are a decoration on wire. To me once you put wire in a decoration it is no longer edible.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What part is too soft?

And for me I don't worry about the roses tasting good. They are a decoration on wire. To me once you put wire in a decoration it is no longer edible.

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif Try kneading some gum-tex or tylose powder into your fondant to make the roses.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 10

I make mine out of modeling chocolate... I covered a four tier cake in roses and petals last week, and it worked great with straight modeling chocolate!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #5 of 10

Yep, sounds like your mix needs to be firmer. Also try letting the center bit dry before adding more petals on.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

" kansaswolf".... can you tell me how you make your modeling chocolate? I have always used either almond bark or wilton chocolate....melt and 1/3 cup karo syrup. It has always worked fine in the past??

I understand that once you add that wire, they are no longer edible....but some of them will not be on wires, and I would like for them to taste good, so if people wanted to eat them...they could.

I just don't understand why I am having such a hard time with these roses!! I thought that it was because I didn't put the hook in the wire first, so I went back and re-did them. They didn't work much better.

One thing is I don't think I give myself enough time when making these flowers.....

Thanks for all the help!
Rhonda

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 10

I use 7 oz candy melts and 3-4 Tbs corn syrup. At least, that's the *RECIPE* I use, I usually just pour the ingredients together until it looks right... icon_biggrin.gif I don't measure much... Obviously the cooler it is, the better they'll do, but it was 80 degrees for a few days there, and I didn't really have any trouble!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 10

I wont eat roses no matter what.. icon_lol.gif.. I use gumpaste.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

I use a mixture of Wilton fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #10 of 10

What about trying 50/50 gum paste/fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%