Roses On Wires??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 30 May 2009 , 4:12am by txnonnie

Rhonda19 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 10

I am trying to make some roses, and put them on the florist wire. But instead of fondant, I am using a mix of 2/3 fondant, to 1/3 modeling chocolate. They are still coming out too soft!

What do you all use to model your roses and your other flowers?? I have made roses using all fondant, but fondant just does not taste too good.

Anyone have any suggestions about what I am doing wrong??

Thanks!

9 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

What part is too soft?

And for me I don't worry about the roses tasting good. They are a decoration on wire. To me once you put wire in a decoration it is no longer edible.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What part is too soft?

And for me I don't worry about the roses tasting good. They are a decoration on wire. To me once you put wire in a decoration it is no longer edible.

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif Try kneading some gum-tex or tylose powder into your fondant to make the roses.

kansaswolf Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 10

I make mine out of modeling chocolate... I covered a four tier cake in roses and petals last week, and it worked great with straight modeling chocolate!

KoryAK Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #5 of 10

Yep, sounds like your mix needs to be firmer. Also try letting the center bit dry before adding more petals on.

Rhonda19 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

" kansaswolf".... can you tell me how you make your modeling chocolate? I have always used either almond bark or wilton chocolate....melt and 1/3 cup karo syrup. It has always worked fine in the past??

I understand that once you add that wire, they are no longer edible....but some of them will not be on wires, and I would like for them to taste good, so if people wanted to eat them...they could.

I just don't understand why I am having such a hard time with these roses!! I thought that it was because I didn't put the hook in the wire first, so I went back and re-did them. They didn't work much better.

One thing is I don't think I give myself enough time when making these flowers.....

Thanks for all the help!
Rhonda

kansaswolf Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 10

I use 7 oz candy melts and 3-4 Tbs corn syrup. At least, that's the *RECIPE* I use, I usually just pour the ingredients together until it looks right... icon_biggrin.gif I don't measure much... Obviously the cooler it is, the better they'll do, but it was 80 degrees for a few days there, and I didn't really have any trouble!

tonedna Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 10

I wont eat roses no matter what.. icon_lol.gif.. I use gumpaste.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

I use a mixture of Wilton fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste.

txnonnie Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #10 of 10

What about trying 50/50 gum paste/fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%