Fondant Figurines

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:59pm by Win

specialtycakesbysara Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to make fondant figurines correctly?? Hahahaha. Everytime I (attempt) to make a figurine it ends up looking like a blob. I guess I am using too much fondant. Is there a way to make sure that I am using the right proportions?? Any tips?? HELP!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

The weird thing, is that I can make ploymer clay figurines with no problem. I thought that I would be able to do both, since they are similar??!!??

Thanks!!

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 7

It isn't your technique. If you are using straight fondant then yes your shapes are going to distort since fondant takes a while to actually dry. And while it is taking it's time to dry it will weight down on itself.

You want to mix gum-tex, tylose, gum trag or gumpaste into your fondant or use gumpaste for them.

Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:53am
post #3 of 7

I prefer using a mixture of gumpaste and fondant.

Loucinda Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 7

There was a demo at our DOS where they made little figurines, and she said she sometimes uses a marshmallow as the center of the figure, less weight and less fodant/gumpaste.

GayeG Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

A marshmellow!? I never would have thought!! What a GREAT idea!!! O MY!! Im so excited to try this! Thanks for sharing that Loucinda!!

Frankyola Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

There was a demo at our DOS where they made little figurines, and she said she sometimes uses a marshmallow as the center of the figure, less weight and less fodant/gumpaste.

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif What a great idea, Ihave to try that thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Win Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 7

I make a lot of figures... most recent was my tallest at 8"!!! I was thrilled that I got him to behave himself!
(Hamburger cake in my gallery http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/194693/thumb_Hamburger_Cake_013.JPG)
icon_lol.gif

Anyway, I have found that about 60/50 gumpaste to fondant is my best formula. I have tried adding powder to fondant, but it comes out inconsistent every time, meaning sometimes it dries faster than I want while working with small parts such as hands, arms, etc. The 60/50 combo gives me time to work with the parts, mold them as I want and then allow them to dry overnight. Structural support is important, even if your figures are sitting down. Spaghetti as a backbone if you know someone wants to bite the head off... cocktail stick if you know they want to preserve the figure as a keepsake.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%