Poll: What Brand Of Fondant Do You Use And Why?

Decorating By Leetzie Updated 30 May 2009 , 2:06pm by mbt4955

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 30

I am just curious to see what brand of fondant is the most popular among all the decorators.

I used to make MMF and struggled with it. It was so time consuming to make. I was in a pinch recently and didn't have time to make MMF so I bought some Choco-Pan from my local cake supply shop and I have to say that I will never go back to making MMF again. I am a Choco-Pan girl from now on!

Please tell me what brand you prefer to use and why you like it so much.

Thanks,

Lisa

29 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #2 of 30

I use marshmallow fondant. It's cheap and easy to make. It comes out exactly the same every time I make it, and I can buy the ingredients at any grocery store. It takes about ten minutes to make a batch, and five minutes for cleanup.

I'm not making cakes for money, so the lower I can keep my cost, the better, because then I can make more cakes to practice on icon_biggrin.gif

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 30

Marshmallow Fondant is all I use (when I use fondant, which is rarely), because of the taste.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 30

For parts that will be consumed, I use MMF. For figures and such I use Wilton. I did just buy a small container of Satin Ice that I'll be trying out soon.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #5 of 30

MFF (Michelle Foster Fondant and Satin Ice when I really have to use packaged.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 30

Oh, forgot the why. MFF has the perfect amount of sweetness without being overpowering, isn't stretchy, and is generally an easy fondant to make. Satin Ice for detail work and the sheer ease of popping open a bucket.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyloo

Marshmallow Fondant is all I use (when I use fondant, which is rarely), because of the taste.

Oh, I should have added that it's also an availability issue for me. Wilton is the only premade fondant you can get for 60 miles, so...mmf it is.

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #8 of 30

Definitely Satin Ice. I recently ran out and had to use MMF again last weekend. I have not used it in a couple of years. It was so difficult to get a perfect finish as it was very stretchy and difficult to roll. Ordered more SI the next day! It tastes good too.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 30

Satin Ice - easy to work with and taste good and the aroma in incredible

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:56am
post #10 of 30

i started w/ Satin Ice and switched to mmf. It just became too much of an expense to continue purchasing it. I have bought red and black, but since I got an airbrush, i don't really need to do that anymore.

I like the ease of being able to buy the ingredients at any store and get it the right consistency I need. I want to try other fondant recipes, but just haven't gotten around to it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #11 of 30

satin ice, satin ice, satin ice! Tastes the best and comes in colors. I roll it about 1/8" thick and don't have any elephant skin issues as I move pretty quickly. And lemme tell you AK is DRY.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #12 of 30

MFF -- homemade. I made MMF once and wasn't that wild about it. Liked the wilton recipe fondant better (not the packaged stuffed -- made from the recipe in their yearbook). Like MFF even better. Just bought some satin ice and I DO NOT like the aroma at all. Doesn't seem like it would be any easier to work with than my MFF. So I'm for MFF (using 3 tbsp of gelatin).

pink7200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink7200 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:24am
post #13 of 30

At first I started out with Wiltons Fondant, but after tasting and seeing little fibers inside the fondant (gross icon_cry.gif ) right out of the box ( this happened with three batches icon_mad.gif )I switched. I make only MMF and I find that It's easy to make and tastes real good icon_razz.gif . I just bough some Satin Ice and will be using it this weekend. I'll let you all know If I'll be converted. icon_rolleyes.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #14 of 30

I use Satin Ice because:

1. It tastes great (my customers love it, and I have converted many anti-fondant people into fondant lovers with it)

2. It's a dream to work with

3. The cost is more than worth the time I save from making and coloring fondant

4. It comes in a range of colors that I can mix together to custom blend my own colors and never have to mess around with gels or pastes (which, for me, is reason enough on its own!)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:08am
post #15 of 30

I use Satin Ice because thats all I can afford. I hate the smell and the taste.

I'm going to start using Jennifer Dontz fondant.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:16am
post #16 of 30

Regalice - from the UK.

Love the vivid colours and the white is snow white.
Doesn't fade after a week of being on display.
Kneeds beautifully when incorporating other colours - powders or liquids.
Only smells of sugar - not chemical.
Has a 12 month freezer life.
IF it dries out (through my own stupid fault) it comes together with glycerine or pure vanilla oil.
Has wonderful elasticity.
Well worth the $$$'s.
And....
Never sets hard - thus no broken teeth... thumbs_up.gif

Bh.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:25am
post #17 of 30

Michelle Foster's Fondant- It is easy to make, tastes good, the ingredients are readily available, and most of all I don't have to pay any shipping costs

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #18 of 30

Satin Ice! I started out using MFF and would use it in a pinch. The white chocolate version worked well in the humidity, but really got tired of making it. I do travel 60 miles to get it, but luckily my DH has to be in the area about once a week, so he keeps me stocked.

I have worked with Usters, but didn't feel the difference in taste was worth the extra cost. I plan to try the chocopan some day, since many recommend it. icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 30

I REALLY like Michele Foster's fondant! I've only made the original recipe (not the updated). I love the texture and it stores so well! It is definitely worth the little bit of time it takes to make. I have made MMF a number of times and even thought it is easier, the texture doesn't hold a candle to Michele's!

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #20 of 30

MMF is all I use

jensenscakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #21 of 30

MMF is all I use

jensenscakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:37pm
post #22 of 30

MMF is all I use

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #23 of 30

I use Fondx, but am starting to work with MMF

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #24 of 30

Satin Ice and Fondx. Satin ice for personal use at home. Like the fact that it does not fade. Fondx cause that it what I have to use at work, since they supply it.

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #25 of 30

I use MMF. I started with Wilton's packaged fondant, and the taste is atrocious. Then I made the recipe in their yearbook... pretty good, but buying the glucose became too expensive. Once I tried MMF, I was hooked. Very inexpensive, great taste, easy to change up with different flavors, and quick to make. BTW, I also tried Michelle Foster's Fondant... I didn't have muck luck with it. It dried too easily and readily tore. May be my fault though, because I didn't let it rest long enough. I've used MMF immediately after making it and it came out beautifully.

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #26 of 30

Wow! I am very surprised by the amount of people that use MMF. So far Satin Ice is the best store bought fondant. Nobody had anything to say about Choco-Pan. I guess I should try Satin Ice next time instead of Choco-Pan.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #27 of 30

I started making Toba Garrett's recipe last year. I like the taste and have found it easy to work with.
I still purchase Satin Ice for red and black.

-Debbie B.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #28 of 30

I agree Satin Ice for commercial product and MMF and I use it till I get more orders but the homemade taste better. But Satin Ice is the best in taste for bought and easy to work with.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #29 of 30

We use Satin ice for the marshmallow taste and Fondarific for buttercream, chocolate, vanilla, and fruit flavor tastes.

Paul & Peter

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #30 of 30

What does everyone recommend for bright colored fondant? I'm doing a wedding cake in July and haven't seen a picture, but the MOB said pink and green. From the expression on her face, I am thinking BRIGHT. I have time to order fondant, but I would love to be able to color MFF if I can. Maybe powdered colors??? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%