So Confused About Wedding Cake Size Guidelines...

Business By jpmama Updated 28 May 2009 , 11:26am by cylstrial

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to do a wedding cake for about 150 people, and I'm seeing such variances in how big of a cake I will need depending on where I look. According to Wilton or Earlene, a 6" 9" and 12" cake will feed about 70. Now I just read in The Cake Bible... and this is a quote "The average size wedding cake consists of 3 tiers- 12", 9", and 6"-- and feeds about 150 people."

Clearly there is a HUGE difference b/n 70 and 150 servings! If anyone can please give me some advice on realistically how big a cake I will need I will greatly appreciate it.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 7

Sure. I do wedding cakes almost exclusively and have been dong so for about 10 years.

GO BY THE WILTON CHART.

1. ALL caterers cut by that chart anyway, so if you use any other, you'll probably be giving away free cake.
2. You will provide PLENTY of cake for the guests.
3. you will make more $.

6/9/12 = 100 servings using the entire cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 7

What leahs said. In triplicate. In ink. and then etched in stone.

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #4 of 7

In the wilton book, the serving numbers are different from a party to a wedding...a cake 8" round for a party serves 20 but for a wedding it serves 24 because the pieces are supposed to be cut smaller.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 7

I always use the Wilton chart for my wedding cakes and have had no complaints about the size of the portions. Just make sure that the couple are going to cut the entire cake and not keep the top tier for the anniversary because that will then require additional cake to make your serving count.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:13am
post #6 of 7

I'm with Leah too. And don't forget the part where you sell by Earlene's (cause you're such a kind and generous cake lady) and then the servers cut by Wilton and the bride gets pissed cause you talked her into too much cake based on the leftovers!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:26am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

And don't forget the part where you sell by Earlene's (cause you're such a kind and generous cake lady) and then the servers cut by Wilton and the bride gets pissed cause you talked her into too much cake based on the leftovers!

Yeah...that would be TERRIBLE! There was a story similar to that not long ago. I'm not sure if the cutting guides were the issue, but the bride had tons of cake left over and was throwing a fit on the caker!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%