Newbie Needs To Know Basics From The Beginning

Decorating By Loripd Updated 28 May 2009 , 5:17pm by Loripd

Loripd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loripd Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 8

Ok guys. First I am not a cook or a baker but very creative. I have made a couple of cakes for my childrens birthdays one idea I've gotten off of here. I have never used fondant, buttercream, sugarart etc. But would like to eventually like to learn it all. Please help me with where to start from the beginning and what are the basic tools I need so that I can start practicing. I would also like some good basic recipes that you all use. Thanks for your help in advance.

7 replies
sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 8

Try your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see if they offer Wilton classes. They're a great way to get your feet wet. As for recipes etc, I would work with a prepackaged fondant like Satin Ice or Wilton (or 50/50 of those brands) before you make your own so you have an idea of the consistency/texture/moisture you need. As for tools you'll need fondant smoothers, a rolling pin, and a sharp knife to get you started with just covering a cake in fondant. HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 8

First of all welcome to CC!

I would suggest you search the forums area and watch youtube videos. I'm sure one of the moderators will pop up and post you all the links.

I would prefer you use the original WASC recipe. It's easy and really good.

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 8

I'm a newbie too and learned a lot by searching through the forums and just reading all of the stickys on each one. Go to the search tab and type in what you want to learn first and that should help you. Stick with something simple to begin with like baking a cake, then move to icing a cake, then keep working on those until you get it the way you want....then tackle fondant.

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 8

I've only been doing this for a few months myself and am totally hooked! I started by taking the first Wilton course at my local Michaels (I didn't take course 2 or 3 but I'm sure they are good too). I have 2 little ones at home so I've been teaching myself by watching the videos on youtube - search for tonedna and watch them ALL! She shows everthing from making buttercream, icing with it, colouring it lots of great info there. I also ordered some of the DVD's from the pros on here - check out Sugarshacks www.sugaredproductions.com and Jennifer Dontz www.sugardelights.com you can't go wrong with either of these ladies they are both great teachers and very helpful if you have any questions just email them and they'll help as much as they can - fantastic!! HTH

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #6 of 8

I'm new at this too (decorated my first cake for my daughter's bday in February), and so far, besides this site, the things that I've found most helpful have been youtube vids, such as:

(all of fairytalecakes videos also)

Those, plus a 28 tip wilton set, give you a lot to work with! Good luck, I hope to see pics soon! icon_biggrin.gif

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

I too am fairly new at this cake thing. I have taken a couple of classes at my local hobby lobby, but for the most part I am self taught. I have watched lots of forum discussions and asked plenty of questions that I am sure have been answered a million times before. Everyone is always helpful though.
My best advise-keep trying. It gets better and easier after about a million mistakes.

Loripd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loripd Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks guys for all the help. I am starting now with all of your suggestions. I LOVE THIS SITE AND I AM SO INSPIRED!!!! My kiddos are going to be full of sugar when I get started practicing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%