Fondant / Buttercream

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 29 May 2009 , 1:35am by RetiredNavyChief

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

I am sure this has been a topic. I was wondering what is the best technique for using fondant with butter cream. I am making a cake covering with buttercream and attaching fondant ruffles. Any suggestions thanks

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 8

Where are you putting the ruffles? Along the bottom of the cake? If you can give a more specific description of what you're trying to do it would be easier to visualize it. Thanks!

RetiredNavyChief Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks sorry, it will be off the side of the cake. Hanging from top to bottom. I am doing the Wilton Romantic Ruffle cake, and the bride does not want it covered in fondant, but i have to do the ruffels in fondant.
LL

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 8

Ah, that's easy. For those you just cut out a rectangular sheet of fondant (or you can do 50/50 fondant and gumpaste to make it a little sturdier), then drape it onto the cake. You can fold it into pleats on the counter after you roll it out, then put it directly onto the cake, or you can drape it when you're actually placing it on the cake.

I usually pipe some buttercream onto the cake on the spot where the drape will be, just to help it stick to the surface of the cake, but you should be able to do that without much trouble since it will be supported by laying it on the top of the tier. If you were just trying to stick it to the side of the cake you'd have a different problem, but this shouldn't be anything you need to use a special technique for. If you're not sure how it will work you could practice by draping it onto an upside-down cake pan first. Good luck!

RetiredNavyChief Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 8

Do i need to wet it or anything? I am just concerned about it sliding off because of the bc icing not fondant.

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 8

Wetting it won't make a difference because it won't stick to the buttercream like it would if it was on wet fondant. Putting some icing on the cake then laying the drape on top of that should be all you need.

Just don't roll the fondant drape out too thick or it will weigh too much and drag the edge of the cake down. That's why I suggested the 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. You'll be able to roll it out thinner that way, so it won't weigh as much, and it will also look more like real fabric and hold the shape better.

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 8

deleted duplicate post

RetiredNavyChief Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 8

thank you so very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%