Some Newbie Mm Fondant Questions

Decorating By anricat Updated 28 May 2009 , 6:23pm by Rena3196

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 14

HI! I'm new. I've been lurking for a bit, but I need a little help being new to these things. I'm not taking classes or anything. I decided I wanted to make my baby a fancy cake for her 1st birthday (July 4). So I'm making some practice cakes (my husband's work is going to love me) before then.

I made MM fondant for the first time tonight. Whoa! My hands hurt!! That's a LOT of kneading. Here are my questions:

1. I put some purple (Wilton) color in it. It was a marbley mess. How do you get the color to distribute throughout the fondant? After messing with that big hard ball of goo for seemingly ever it was still very marbled so I broke it into pieces. That worked a little better, but of course, I ended up with 5 somewhat shades of purple. I then kneaded that all back together but it still wasn't completely uniform.

2. It seems kinda crackly and I didn't even use all the powdered sugar. I tried adding a little water and a little shortening, but it still doesn't seem stretchy. It has cracks and seams. How will I ever get it smooth and stretchy?

3. How do you people use this stuff all the time? It's a crazy lot of work!!

13 replies
traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 14

There is a really easy way on youtube, you put 2 tbsp of water in bowl add a bag of mashmellows, microwave for 30 sec till melted put crisco on counter add a bag of icing sugar. Now you color melted marshmellows and pour it onto the icing sugar. Have alot of crisco on your hands and kneed it together. I think I got it but you can watch and see for yourself. It is so easy this way. After you kneed it let it rest, put crisco around it and wrap in saran. Its almost fool proof....good luck!

Best-I-Can Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Best-I-Can Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anricat

HI! I'm new. I've been lurking for a bit, but I need a little help being new to these things. I'm not taking classes or anything. I decided I wanted to make my baby a fancy cake for her 1st birthday (July 4). So I'm making some practice cakes (my husband's work is going to love me) before then.

I made MM fondant for the first time tonight. Whoa! My hands hurt!! That's a LOT of kneading. Here are my questions:

1. I put some purple (Wilton) color in it. It was a marbley mess. How do you get the color to distribute throughout the fondant? After messing with that big hard ball of goo for seemingly ever it was still very marbled so I broke it into pieces. That worked a little better, but of course, I ended up with 5 somewhat shades of purple. I then kneaded that all back together but it still wasn't completely uniform.

2. It seems kinda crackly and I didn't even use all the powdered sugar. I tried adding a little water and a little shortening, but it still doesn't seem stretchy. It has cracks and seams. How will I ever get it smooth and stretchy?

3. How do you people use this stuff all the time? It's a crazy lot of work!!

icon_biggrin.gif

anricat Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 14

Well, that's basically what I did except I added the color AFTER I kneaded all the powdered sugar in. But if I want to divide it up so I have some green, some purple, some pink, etc. I can really only do that AFTER I mix it all together. Or do you try make smaller batches and just guestimate the amount of each?

Also, like I mentioned, I didn't actually use the whole bag but it still seemed like it was breaking so I'm thinking it's too dry?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 14

If you're going to make all of it into one color, put the color in with the marshmallows and water, before you add the powdered sugar.

You can microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up before you add the color. If you notice any spots that look really shiny or melted, don't touch them...you can burn yourself pretty badly on it. You can also soften it up in the microwave if it seems too tough to roll out or work with.

Usually when you make marshmallow fondant, the recipe will tell you to let it rest overnight. For me, that's when the fondant stiffens up a little bit.

There are different recipes for it. I use 16 oz marshmallows, 2 lb powdered sugar (not Walmart brand!), 1/4 cup water and then crisco as needed. I mix it up in my Kitchen Aid mixer but I've done it by hand and it works well too. It is a little more effort icon_biggrin.gif It should come out like a smooth soft dough, almost too soft to work with.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #6 of 14

Oh, just saw your other question. It's easiest to divide it up and color it right after you make it while it's soft.

It sounds like yours might be a little too stiff. I think I'd pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds at the most, watching out for melty spots, then knead it, adding a little bit of water if it still seems too dry.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:06am
post #7 of 14

i love this recipe i've never had any trouble with it, remember like tracy said crisco, and while mixing, pulling and twisting, but watch your minature marshmallow size of bag, i usually make 2 batches at a time, you mm's are 10.5 ounced and that's what i use so i don't buy the larger bag of marshmallows. i put my color in be careful just a little gel goes a long way i personally add my color when it mixed, i sit on the floor with a big towel when i mix mine, add con sugar about 1/2 cup at a time, when it's mixed or a little before i start pulling pieces off and keep adding until the color is togeather, same when i mix it, twist, pull, squish, store it in smaller quantities and i flatten it out, before you use it you can nuke it for about 3 sec. and i have to say marble makes a pretty cake. question 3 not enough crisco when mixing

anricat Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #8 of 14

Huh. When you mix in your Kitchenaid, which attachment do you use? Bread dough?

Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #9 of 14

Yes...dough hook. Grease the whole bowl up with Crisco, and the hook too. Put the melted marshmallows in the bowl first, then sift the powdered sugar in on top. Run it on the lowest setting until it starts to sound like it's whining a little bit, then turn it up a notch. If it starts sticking to the bowl before it's smooth enough, pull it out and grease the bowl again.

I have heard of people ruining the KA trying to make fondant...but I've been doing it for a year and had no problems at all. The only time the machine has ever seemed unhappy is when I made marzipan and forgot to add the corn syrup.

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #10 of 14

I used to make MMF all the time and ran into some of the same problems that you did. I just learned as I went. Yes it is hard to get a dark, consistent color. I just recently had to make a cake and didn't have the time to make MMF so I bought Choco-Pan and I will tell you that since I have used that, I will never go back to MMF again. Choco-Pan was so easy to work with. It took me no time at all to color it. It rolled out very easily. And the best part was that it tasted better. It wasn't as sweet as MMF and I got so many compliments on the Choco-Pan.

I know I didn't answer your question but I thought I would save you some frustration and tell you to buy some Choco-Pan next time. You will thank me for it. icon_biggrin.gif

anricat Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #11 of 14

Huh. I wonder if that's something I can find locally. I've been thinking of visiting the local cake shop, but I haven't had a chance. I guess I'll check it out.

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anricat

Huh. I wonder if that's something I can find locally. I've been thinking of visiting the local cake shop, but I haven't had a chance. I guess I'll check it out.

I'm not sure what kind of cake shop you have near you but I just have to say not to buy the Wilton brand fondant. It doesn't taste good at all. The only other bought one I have had is Choco-Pan and I like it enough to not even try any other brand.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 14

It sounds like your MMF is too dry. I have NEVER used all the powdered sugar listed! I add about 5 cups, and then just add until it feels right. Use lots of crisco on your hands. If you have a Kitchen Aid it can REALLY help the beginning mixing! To colour it, break off the piece you want, wrap the rest up. Stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds (seriously. Not long). When it's nice and soft you can add the colour. If you are colouring the entire batch, add the colour in the beginning.
It is really hard on the hands, I know. I get my husband to knead it. Good luck!

Rena3196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rena3196 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 14

I used to have the same prob with the dryness of the MMF... I read somewhere here to add glycerine. Just a tiny bit though. I works wonders!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%