Treasure Chest

Decorating By momma28 Updated 28 May 2009 , 5:55pm by momma28

momma28 Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 8

How do I make the lid on a treasure chest cake stay open. I need to transport this cake an hour so I need it to be sturdy. Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

7 replies
val_nutrimetics Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 8

For the treasure chest that I made I used a styrofoam lid, and just covered it with fondant. Then I used long dowels at the back of the cake to hold the lid open.
Hope this helps!

bebea Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

i did one years ago - i used the big pretzel rods. i iced them to look like the part of a chest that holds the lid up, if that makes sense.

momma28 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:37am
post #4 of 8

styrofoam? I was hoping to make the lid from cake has anyone ever done that? I was thinking maybe I could use a thin wood under the cake cut to the shape of the lid so that when I put in supports it wouldnt go through cardboard would that work? Its for a child I really love so I would be devastated if it fell apart during transport.

Frankyola Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 8

But it is not going to slide down? I would like to know too, I think if you make the lid out of cake it is going to be heave and if the lid it is going to be open I think it is going to slide to the back of the cake. icon_redface.gif

Madiken Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 8

When I made the treasuer chest I used rkt for the lid. I cut a cardboard round the shape I needed and set the molded rkt on it. I then used long wooden dowels to hold the lid up. I wouldn't transport it with the lid on the way I did it. I just put the lid on once I got where I was going.

krissycupcakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8

i would say no cake for the lid because of wieght but...... if you make your chest closed and then just cut a small chunk out of the front and stuff it with treasureit will look like the treasure is bursting out. good luck

momma28 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 8

All the instructions i've seen online use cake for the lid. Maybe I will cut a thin wood base for the lid decorate both pieces seperate and then assemble there. Ill let you know how it works. The party is Saturday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%