Might Be A Silly Newbie Question, But...

Baking By Mylittleflutterby Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:32am by sarahcupcake

Mylittleflutterby Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 8

How do you fill a cupcake?

I know how you fill a cake, but they don't have a wrapper etc.

Is there a special way to do it? and are there certain fillings that work better than others?

Thanks for humouring a newbie icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 8

I just put my filling in my piping bag and use whatever tip is handy and jam it in icon_razz.gif

blondeez Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 8

I use a long pastry tip to fill my cupcakes, but I have also just used a star tip or #12 tip to fill cupcakes also.

Mylittleflutterby Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 8

Thanks! that is kinda what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure.

Are there certain fillings that work better than others or popular combinations of cake/filling?

val_nutrimetics Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8


I don't know if this is the "right" way, but it is how I have done it! I prefer to use pudding based fillings (but I have also used cookies and cream). I just use the handle of a spoon and dig a hole in the middle of the cupcake, and then using a piping bag and tip #230 - I just pipe in the filling. When I used the cookies and cream filling; tip #230 kept getting blocked by the oreos & I can't remember what tip I used in place of it. Hope this helps you out a bit!


luvchocolate Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 8

I use an apple corer to remove a 'plug' from the cupcake. Put filling in a piping bag, with any tip, and fill the hole.

sweetsbyjen Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 8

I either use a regular Piping tip #12 (wilton sells a cupcake kit that come with a long tip for piping filling inside cupcakes.) or I use the melon baller technique. They both work well. Sometimes when I pipe filling in a cupcake, if i use too much pressure it will burst the cupcake, which isn't a big deal but some people might not think it is as "pretty".

Val - When I do cookies and cream, I make the filling a day or two ahead of time and let the cookies "soften" then they will go through the tip. I use a Aetco #807 Large round tip.

Hope that helps!


sarahcupcake Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #8 of 8

Wilton sells a cupcake set that comes with a long tip specifically for filling cupcakes. I have used a cream cheese filling and a chocolate filling that have worked great in the past.

Quote by @%username% on %date%