What Types Of Cookies Ship Best?

Baking By jmr531 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm by CookieMeister

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 13

i'm thinking of mailing some cookies to a friend as a thank you for a referral. are there certain types of cookies or recipes that hold up best for shipping? how should they be packed?

thanks.

12 replies
jmr531 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 13

does anyone have any suggestions?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 13

My mother mails my sugar cookies (wilton no-chill recipe) with marshmallow fondant on top to my grandmother. She puts them into a bag and then into a box with styrofoam peanuts. My grandma's really too polite to say whether or not the cookies arrive intact, but she's told me before that she shared them with her friends, so I think they must make it there all right.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 13

I mailed some cutout sugar cookies with RI to my neices. They didn't break at all. I put them in some tupperware containers with lots of small bubble wrap. Then I boxed them and put lots of newspaper in the box, so that the containers couldn't jiggle. I asked my SIL if they got there in one piece and she said, "I'd be surprised if they didn't get there in one piece with as much packaging as you did". I was like, make fun of me all you want...but they got there in one piece and that's what matters!

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #5 of 13

Biscotti travels well, too.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #6 of 13

No Fail Sugar Cookie with royal icing ships with no problems. Just bubble wrap and use packing peanut. I shipped over 30 cookies for my girlfriend's bridal shower, none broke.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 13

Hello....I have shipped all sorts of cookies all the way to Iraq, and around the States (NY/Florida/Michigan) and will be sending some out to Boston on Monday. without any problems. I really believe it's all in the packing. I put a couple of dozen per large baggie, and burp the air out it real good. Then I take all the bags and place them in the center of the box, and fill the box as tight as I can with wadded up balls of paper, all around the bags of cookies. HTH

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #8 of 13

What shipping service do you use? I want to send my sister cookies (so from MA to NE, but I have always been afraid of the heat. Do you think that would impact the icing at all?

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 13

Hi...If the heat/humidity is up for you, then you may want to consider using dry ice.
I have posted before about this, and I want to tell you the same thing. I buy my dry ice from a place here that sells it. It comes in a five pound package.
Dry ice is considered a hazardous material, so you can't take the package off that it comes in, and for us to use it in shipping, there is a weight limit that we can use. Five to ten pounds is all I have ever needed, and it does not exceed the limit allowed. Even in its package, you have to handle it carefully. In a matter of seconds, it can burn your fingers/hands.
So, with that in mind, I use the postal service for shipping. If you use the dry ice, for it to be effective, and keep your items cooled, it has to sit on top of it. (it will not work sitting under the items) I put the dry ice in a large baggie, so as it melts, it doesn't drip in the box, and all over what you are shipping.
Put your wadded newspaper down in the bottom of the box, to make a good layer. Set your items on top of that. Build paper up all around it, and on the top. Lay your ice on top, then add paper on top of it, and just fill the pooh out of the box with it.
When you ship, make suse all edges of the box is taped. It won't be taken if it isn't. I always tape across the addresses too, so if it rains, the writing won't smudge and run off. HTH!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 13

I've shipped roll out decorated cookies successfully as well. I wrapped each cookie in cello and then wrapped them in bubble wrap. I then placed them in a small box covered in newsprint, making sure it's a tight fit so the cookies don't move around. Then that box goes into a slightly larger box that is packed with newsprint as well. Got this advice here on the forum, by the way! Sorry i don't remember who it was but i thank you.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 13

I do it the same way as luv2bake6, never a problem. Also NFSC with RI will do fine in the heat

jmr531 Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 13

thanks for the advice everyone!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I mailed some cutout sugar cookies with RI to my neices. They didn't break at all. I put them in some tupperware containers with lots of small bubble wrap. Then I boxed them and put lots of newspaper in the box, so that the containers couldn't jiggle. I asked my SIL if they got there in one piece and she said, "I'd be surprised if they didn't get there in one piece with as much packaging as you did". I was like, make fun of me all you want...but they got there in one piece and that's what matters!

The one time I've shipped cookies, that's what my friend said too! Make fun of my overpackaging if you will, but it's better than broken cookies! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%