I'm New To The Nfsc, Please Help!!

Baking By umgrzfn Updated 28 May 2009 , 11:46am by bbmom

umgrzfn Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, how do you all get the cookies looking so good? I tried reading the forums, etc, but my questions are...do you use royal icing? If you do, doesn't it taste bad? Also, if you do use royal icing, I know how to outline and fill. If you use the glace, how do you get the watermelon to look like watermelon with the nice white and green outline...how do you get the football to look so perfect? I did make the glace and personally, I don't like it! WAAAAYYYYYYY sugary (if that's a word icon_confused.gif ) Is there something that is better and less sweet? I'm a diabetic and did make the NFSC with splenda..ok, ok, so mine weren't so "NO FAIL", but I used splenda..I didn't expect them to be perfect. I still would like to know (even if there isn't a less sweet glace) how you all do such B-E-A-U-Tiful jobs on your cookies!!! ANY help would be so much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!

11 replies
umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 12

ANYBODY!!! I always try to answer threads if I can help in anyway! I would so much appreciate some help from "cookie makers"!!!

SassySweetz Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 12

I hope you get a response as I too would like to know this. I did make the NFSC recipe this week and they are so yummy!!!!! I'm about to make Antonia74's royal icing right now.....

Good luck!

KathyTW Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 12

umgrzfn....I know for me the only way to do it is by PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! There are so many great cookie makers here on CC .. it's a little intimidating.

I absolutely hate the flavor of RI....unfortunately it makes pretty cookies! I use the Toba Garrett Glace more often than RI....but if it's too sweet for you then that won't work.

Just keep trying recipes and techniques, you'll find what works best for you the more cookies you make.

giraffe11 Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 12

I am not a pro. I think I've done 6 batches of cookies now.....all are in my photos, so you can see how I have advanced so far. The first two pix are using glace (leaves and acorns) the rest are Antonia74s RI. I don't usually like RI, but I do like Antonia's so give it a try.
Also, I don't like the NFSC recipe. I used it in my first batch and not since then. I use the recipe in the Cookie Craft book, with the suggested lemon zest and vanilla. This is by far my favorite recipe and seems also to be with the people who eat my cookies. The Cookie Craft book also has lots of instruction and tips, which might help a beginner. It is available many places, including amazon.
I'm getting ready to make some sample cookies for an October wedding. So fun.

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 12

Thank you for the help KathyTW and giraffe11! I thought maybe my NFSC didn't taste right because of the Splenda. I thought they left a funny after taste, which I know sweeteners will do. They weren't my favorite. Thank you for the info on the book giraffe11! I will also try Antonia74's RI. Thank you for the help!

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #7 of 12
Originally Posted by SassySweetz

I hope you get a response as I too would like to know this. I did make the NFSC recipe this week and they are so yummy!!!!! I'm about to make Antonia74's royal icing right now.....

Good luck!

Here is the way Antonia74 does it. She did an awesome tutorial!!!! Ijust came across it when Iwas looking for her RI recipe

bbmom Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #8 of 12

I always use antonia's ri. For flavoring I use 1t vanilla, 1/2t almond and 1/2 t butter flavoring or I have used 2t creme bouquet but its a bit citrusy for me-my kids liked it. I'm still perfecting my technique, but I followed antonia's tutorial and found that it helped me. Consistancy of the ri is key and patience. When I try to rush my cookies dont look as nice. If you have any other specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.
I used glace once and didnt like the taste or the way it responded to the flooding technique.

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:09am
post #9 of 12

Thank you bbmom. I will keep you in mind when I give them a shot. I really appreciate you tip! I have not heard of cream bouquet. Where do I get that and what does it taste like?

vickymacd Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:23am
post #10 of 12

Glad someone answered you! Just saw this.

I don't care for the taste of NFSC. I use my own cookie but always use Antonia's RI. I love it and it keeps what seems like forever! Make it exactly like she tells you to. Ha, ha, she yelled at me for making it wrong one time. She was just kidding, but if you make it like she says, it turns out perfect every time. And it doesn't have a strong flavor, just complements the cookie.
NFSC are very blah to me. That's why I use my own.

bonniebakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #11 of 12

Personally, I love the taste of the NFSC recipe, as do most people who have eaten them, and I really like how it handles. However, I always add some extra flavorings to the original recipe (and lower the BP), such as almond extract, lemon extract or juice, or additional vanilla extract. I know that some people who don't care for the NFSC recipe use Penny's recipe or the Martha Stewart recipe (both of which have produced similar results when I've tried them).

As for the decorating... it takes a lot of practice. A lot of practice (at least for me)! I think that everyone has to find the right method for them - for outlining/filling, using bags or bottles, etc. type of icing....

there are some great threads in the cookie forum and articles int eh articles section with loads of information and tips/tricks. I recommend you do a search and see what's helpful to you, but here area few to get you started...

Freddyfls how to

icing tips/info

outlining tricks & tips

Antonia74s article

Happy baking!!

bbmom Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:46am
post #12 of 12

Creme bouquet is a combo of vanilla, almond and lemon flavoring, I bought mine at my local cake supply store, but I've seen it online. I think antonia's ri doesnt call for flavoring because she uses the meringue powder that has vanilla flavor already added to it, cant remeber the brand-chef master or ck possibly-I've used it before but my cake store doesnt always stock it so I wind up with wilton which has a metallic twang to it-so thats why I add 2t of flavoring to it-I prefer to use a mix of real vanilla and almond and then some butter flavor as stated above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%