Fondant Edible???

Decorating By greenqueen Updated 17 Jan 2015 , 1:04am by johnson6ofus

greenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenqueen Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 15

I love the look of fondant but is it edible or is it for decoration only. If so, do you frost with buttercream first and then the fondant? And do you remove the fondant before serving? ANy help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

14 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 15

yes, fondant is edible. if you are covering a cake with it, you have to ice the cake with buttercream or ganache first so that the fondant has something to stick to. you do not remove the fondant before serving.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 15

Some fondants are tastier than others, and some people don't like the chewy texture of many fondants. However, they are MEANT to be eaten, so now you just need to find one you like!

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 15

I personally almost always remove the fondant before serving...especially if older people are enjoying the cake. It's hard to watch them completely dissect the fondant and then hate it anyway. They seem to be more old school when it comes to cakes lol I compensate by filling the cake with a decent amount of frosting because most of the frosting gets peeled off with the fondant. It's a personal choice tho icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 15

Welcome to CC, greenqueen! Please, eat the fondant! If you are just beginning, you probably are leaning toward Wilton which is fine for practice, just don't judge all fondants by the flavor of theirs. It's not horrible but it truly comes under the heading of "plastic frosting" to which I have heard it referred in the past. Most starting out enjoy the taste and texture of what is called marshmallow fondant... it's easy to make. Here's directions for a simple MMF:
Enjoy!

Peggy Weaver's MMF
MM (Marshmallow) Fondant Recipe
Marshmallow Fondant ingredients

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing Sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

NOTE: Please be careful, this first stage can get hot.

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. (By the way, this recipe is also good for your hands. When Im done, they are baby soft.)

Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands. If you have children in the room they will either laugh at you or look at you with a questioning expression. You might even hear a muttered, What are you doing?

Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

It is best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in a plastic-type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.

MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks. If I know that I have a cake to decorate, I usually make two (2) batches on a free night during the week so it is ready when I need it. Take advantage of the fact that this fondant can be prepared well in advance.

greenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenqueen Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks so much. I have made marshmellow fondant and liked how it turned out, I only made a little of it for some mummy cupcakes and will probably try it on a cake soon. Thanks.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 15

Fondant is totally edible.. a lot of people don't like it. Try using Jennifer Dontz semi home made fondant recipe. I've heard that its really taste good.... or you can try Chocopan if you don't like making it.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:06am
post #8 of 15

Is buying Jen's recipe worth it? I mean is it that different from adding chocolate to say MFF...?

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 15

I made a cake and used Satin Ice. I had a couple people tell me this was the first time they ate fondant without gagging. IMO, Satin ice is the best tasting commercially made fondant. Choco pan is another good one, but it's softer and harder to handle because of the chocolate. It's also very expensive. I've mixed Choco Pan and Satin Ice and that has worked well.

Do you think Wilton will every get a clue about how bad their fondant tastes??? I only use it for decorations that will not be eaten.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 15

Conspiracy? I am thoroughly convinced that Wilton Brand is secretly made by some top elite chefs to purposely taste horrible to deter DIYers from venturing into cakeland. Yeah you can decorate but can you eat it kind of thing..LOL

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 15

My family is not a fan of fondant but I like MMF and I have used the fondx brand. It is easy to work with and it tastes good too. I did make a marshmallow fondant with semi-sweet chocolate melted in it. I used a chocolate buttercream under it and the whole family loved the taste of that. I used it on my guitar hero cake.

Banana cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana cake Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 10:34am
post #12 of 15

ya;-D

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 15

A year or so ago, one of the old timers on here, and I can't remember who, probably because I'm an old timer . . . anyway her kitchen helper put some fondants out to taste and everyone was fine with Wilton fondant, when they didn't see the box.  Makes ya think . . .

I've been known to mix Satin and W fondant together.  Great workability and good taste. Cuts down on the cost, too.

And since I jsut defended a W product, you may assume that hell has officially frozen over.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 15

I flavor Wilton.  Just pour some vanilla (or whatever flavoring you want to match the cake flavor) and knead it into the fondant.  I didn't measure it - just added until I thought it tasted probably about a teaspoon.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 17 Jan 2015 , 1:03am
post #15 of 15

As a newly former Wilton instructor....

"Old" formula fondant (mostly white) had no flavoring, and you were instructed to add extract of your choice. That BLAND fondant helped fuel the "nasty Wilton" reviews.

"New" fondant, labeled "decorator preferred", is now in many colors and has flavoring in it. So, "out of the box", it tastes better.

I too, am not the 100% Wilton fan, but you still gotta know what and how to use it. Mashed potatoes without salt are gross, as is the original fondant without any flavoring. 

For being able to buy with coupons (at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, etc.) this fondant may be worth revisiting if you haven't tried it in a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%