Sugared Fruit

Decorating By deletedeletedelete Updated 28 May 2009 , 1:55pm by deletedeletedelete

deletedeletedelete Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to attempt to make a chocolate overload cake with sugared fruit on it for a graduation cake I have to do for next month. My questions are:
1) What do you use to make the sugar stick to the fruit and it still be edible/safe. I have seen my just surfing the web that they use egg whites. I am a little scared of that method... If you guys have tried it, please let me know. I trust you guys since most of you do this for a living.

2) What is the best kind of sugar to use (consistency or size I guess I should say)?

Thank you very, very much ahead of time.

5 replies
JCE62108 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 6

I use simple syrup. Dip the fruit into the simple syrup then into the sugar, place on the cake or if it makes you feel better, you can place it on wax paper or a plate to dry a bit first.

PinkZiab Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 6

I use egg whites (shelled, usually)... that's the traditional way to make sugared/candied fruits and flowers. If it makes you feel "safer" you can use carton pasteurized whites. I like superfine sugar for these types of applications.

txnonnie Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

Interesting information.

Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 6

I've also done using eggwhites... then I end up washing it before I eat them.

deletedeletedelete Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you every one for your help. I can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%