Freezing Pre-Sliced Cakes With Various Fillings

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 28 May 2009 , 12:49am by kakeladi

JCE62108 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 2

I had some sort of idea today.

There are a lot of small 'ma and 'pa restuarants around here. I had an idea about maybe trying to market gourmet presliced frozen dessert cakes to them to offer as a dessert option for their customers.

I have frozen cakes before, but not with fillings. Do any of you know if these types of fillings can be frozen?

-Custards
-Mouses
-Fillings made with cooked fruits
-Fillings made with fresh fruit folded in (like a mashed banana, not chunks)

What about pies? We freeze our key lime pies at work and they turn out fine, but does that really just depend on the filling?

Do you guys have any method to thaw these to reduce the amount of condensation? Does thawing it inside of its packaging container help?

I just want to see if this idea is even logical before contemplating on it anymore. I keep having brainstorms lately. Must be the medication. LOL.

EDIT:
Also do you guys know of a good place online to buy cake packaging supplies? (boxes, slice containers, etc)

1 reply
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 2

Sorry I can't really help you much. About the only filling I know would stand up to fzing is cooked fruits. *Some* fresh fruits - the banana you mentioned - should do o.k. but things like berries would not.
.......What about pies?.......just depend on the filling? ......
I would say the filling and the crust. A crumb crust would do fine, but some rolled doughs would become tough.
Not much help I know....but it is a bump so ,maybe someone who does know better will see it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%