Fondant Stars On Wire

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 27 May 2009 , 5:59pm by Kerry_Kake

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to make this cake for my son's graduation party and was wondering - anybody know what kind of wire that is for the stars (gauge, etc)? I've never put fondant cutouts onto wire before so I'm not sure exactly what to use.

4 replies
TheMightyQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheMightyQuinn Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 5

i'm not 100% on the gauge but it could be 9
but floral wire works great for these things

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, I would use 22 guage wires and I wouldn't use fondant only. Either gumpaste or 50/50 mix of fondant and gumapste. icon_smile.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 5

if you buy the floral stem wire at walmart, it pretty much only comes in 2 sizes and the thinner size is green so just get the silver one icon_smile.gif you can use your own judgement if it seems like it will hold up something slightly heavy without bending under the weight

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I would use 22 guage wires and I wouldn't use fondant only. Either gumpaste or 50/50 mix of fondant and gumapste. icon_smile.gif

I agree, although 20 guage should be fine too. To keep the stars on the wires without sliding down are 2 methods that I know of. You can either heat up the wire with a lighter and stick the star on or you can put some glue (tylose & water mixed together is what I use) on the wire or the bottom of the star where the wire will be inserted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%