How Long In Advance Can I Make My Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By anolan36 Updated 27 May 2009 , 6:12pm by pattigunter

anolan36 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 5

I have a 50th birthday cake to make for this weekend. How far in advance can I make and cover my cake? How Long can a fondant covered cake sit out? Should it be put in the fridge until delivered? someone please help! icon_surprised.gif

4 replies
umgrzfn Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 5

A fondant covered cake can sit out for quite some time. It will keep the cake underneath of it fresh. Also, depending on what icing you use underneath will depend if it will need refridgeration. If you use a whipped cream or cream cheese icing, it is not able to sit out in excess of two hours and should be served right away if you do not plan on refridgeration. I'm not sure the exact time frame for the fondant to sit out but I know 3-5 days is acceptable, again, depending on the icing you use!!!!

bashini Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 5

Hi there, I make my cakes two days in advance. For example, for saturday cake, I bake on thursday morning. Torte and fill in the night. Friday morning crumbcoat and cover it with fondant. Then do the decorations and then put it in a cake box. Never put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

anolan36 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for the help!!! I am a newbie at this cake decorating thing but so far it has been going so well!!! I Opened a little buisness and have been getting orders left and right......Now I am just trying to find out all I can about everything cakes!!!LOL

pattigunter Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 5

You've come to the right place. Everyone here is very nice and willing to share their knowledge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%