Vanilla V. French Vanilla

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 27 May 2009 , 9:14pm by PinkZiab

beachcakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 7

I've always wondered what's the difference?

6 replies
idjitmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about cake mixes, but in general, french vanilla is from a egg yolk/custard base. For example, vanilla ice cream is cream & vanilla, french vanilla ice cream starts w/ an egg custard..

PinkZiab Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

idjitmom is correct, "french vanilla," isn't really a flavor of its own. In ice cream, it refers to a creme anglaise based ice cream (made with eggs) and will usually have a creamy yellowish color, vs a pure white vanilla ice cream that is usually made with stabilizers instead of eggs (of course now many companies market a "french vanilla" ice cream that does not contain any eggs, anyway). Because of that, some people use the term "french vanilla" as a marketing tool to make a product some more rich and indulgent than just "vanilla," in turn leading it to become a "flavor" in its own right.

indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 7

that's interesting to know. I always thought the difference was that the french vanilla was more yellow in color. Period. I've never tasted an actual "taste" difference.

Darth_Aerdna Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 7

I was just asking myself that question the other night!!!
Now I know!!!!

beachcakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 7

Excellent! Thanks all so much for clearing that up! I saw McCormick's French Vanilla flavoring and wondered what the difference was! If you're using it in baked goods, I would think it would be the same as regular, since you use eggs anyway?

PinkZiab Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Excellent! Thanks all so much for clearing that up! I saw McCormick's French Vanilla flavoring and wondered what the difference was! If you're using it in baked goods, I would think it would be the same as regular, since you use eggs anyway?

My guess is the difference between that and regular vanilla is that they have added some sort of chemical additive to give it a "creamier" taste (if that makes sense).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%