Newbie Buttercream Question

Decorating By frustratedbaker Updated 28 May 2009 , 12:19am by artscallion

frustratedbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frustratedbaker Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 9

Sorry for the repeat. I have tried to search, also read about 15 pages of buttercream, read buttercream article but it is still not clear and as a newbie I hope you will be tolerant of my basic question.

i have made a buttercream to go between a cake layers and will be crumb coated and covered with fondant (ambitious I know icon_smile.gif) The cake will be served Friday dinner time. My butter cream is part cream cheese, part butter and icing sugar.

here is what i have learned
Can't put fondant in fridge.

Here is what I need to know....
Can I fill the cake on Thursday and crumb coat it on Thursday and then put fondant on Thursday knowing it can' t go in the fridge.

Or do I crumb coat on Thursday and put in fridge overnight to put fondant on Friday??

I don't want to give anyone food poisoning....but I am not sure if bc can be left out overnight covered with fondant if it have some cream cheese in it. Also made it with milk (liquid)

Any help would be appreciated.

Great site btw. I could spend all day here!!! So much knowledge and sharing. Love it.

8 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 9

Welcome to CC. Ok, there are some that will put fondant in the fridge. I have before when I have a big order (I just do mine out of my home). I try not to, BUT...you do what you have to. It was fine. But what is better is if you do crumb coat it on Thursday and place the fondant Friday. If I have time, that is what I typically will do. I'm sure you will get replies of how others do it. It really is personal preferance and making sure your cakes still have a good taste and stay moist!!
HTH

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 9

I would crumb coat it on Thursday, and put in the fridge. Fondant on it Friday morning, and let it sit out. Bring the cake to room temperature before putting the fondant on it!!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, definately bring it to room temp! Condensation and fondant don't really mix (cold cake, warm fondant.... icon_eek.gif )

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 9

Okay lil ladie well welcome Im a beginner cake decorator so I could only give you some input on some of my esperiences.

As far as fondant alot of people dont put it in fridge cause once you take it out it will start sweating.

Alot of people do put in there cakes but they wrap them very tightly in plastic wrap, as you may know the cake could / intents to absorb the smells of the fridge. Make youre you put in some of baking soda boxes (for them to get all the smells ) I put in a few lol!!!

Well good luck hope someone can really help ya out .

frustratedbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frustratedbaker Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for your thoughts. The two comments from averagemom and umgrzfm were very helpful...didn't think about the room temperature issue!!! This site is goldenicon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 9

Here is what I would do, like what I've done. I've used cream cheese buttercream that contains butter. I would torte, fill on Thursday, crumbcoat and let it settle in the fridge for several hours (loosely covered in plastic wrap). I would then lay the fondant on thursday or early friday, Decorate and then pop it in the fridge. I never had any problems with refirgerating my cakes. Never.

Welcome to CC btw!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Here is what I would do, like what I've done. I've used cream cheese buttercream that contains butter. I would torte, fill on Thursday, crumbcoat and let it settle in the fridge for several hours (loosely covered in plastic wrap). I would then lay the fondant on thursday or early friday, Decorate and then pop it in the fridge. I never had any problems with refirgerating my cakes. Never.

Welcome to CC btw!

This is what I would do. I have never had a problem either.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #9 of 9

everything I've read recommends putting the fondant on a cake that is well chilled and just out of the fridge. I'm not saying it can't be at room temp. As there are lots of different ways people do lots of different things. I'm just saying that it's not true that it has to be, or should be, at room temp when applying the fondant. It is true that it's better to apply the buttercream to the cake when it is at room temp, for different reasons. Then it can be chilled until you're ready to fondant it.

I always put my fondant on a cake that's been chilled overnight. And I don't take it out of the fridge until a moment before because I want it to be cold. When it's cold, the buttercream is firm and it's easier to handle and manipulate the fondant into place without moving the buttercream around and out of its place. I've never had one sweat. The only time I've had fondant sweat is when I've chilled a cake that already has fondant on it.

I say keep it chilled until Friday afternoon, if possible, and then apply the fondant close to dinner, if you don't have too much decorating to do. Then let it sit out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%