Cherry Cake

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 27 May 2009 , 7:05pm by sayhellojana

Mom_Of_4 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 10

My daughter wants a cherry cake for her birthday. A few months ago I experimented with the WASC recipe and added the juice from marachino cherries and also chopped up some cherries and put them in the cake, but there wasn't enough cherry flavor. So now I am wondering if I can put some Grenadine syrup in the cake to substitute for the water in the cake, but I am wondering if the syrup will be too sugary. I thought I would see what some of my fellow CCers thought of my idea?

9 replies
Mom_Of_4 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 10

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

missyd4e Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 10

Have you ever tried LoAnne candy flavors, there is a cherry one. Does your daughter like the cherry dilly bars at Dairy Queen. If she does you could add some almond extract, it tastes just like the dilly bar.

MariaIsabel2007 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 10

Well, I don't really have a recipe but I have used the Betty Crocker Cherry Chip mix and it has a lot of flavor and little pieces of cherries. At least my kids liked it.

Mom_Of_4 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 10

I am going to have to order me some of those LorAnne oils because I have read alot of people use them. But we don't have anywhere close to my house that carries LorAnne flavorings, but she would probably like it.

MariaIsabel2007- I am trying to duplicate the cherry chip cake mix because our walmart doesn't carry it anymore.

idjitmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 10

Do what you've already done - sub some of the liquid for the cherry juice & chop up the cherries - and then also, use cherry extract (Wal-Mart carries it, mine does at least) & a box of cherry jello or a packet of cherry kool-aid. I sometimes do that to only half of the mix (keep the rest the regular WASC), & then swirl it, it's so yummy!!

Mom_Of_4 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 10

I think I may just try the cherry jello idea...sounds good and it will look neat too! So do you just buy a small, I think 4 oz., box of jello and mix it in with half of the cake batter then swirl that with the rest of the cake batter?

cloudy30 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 10

I have added cherry pie filling and white chocolate chips to a white or vanilla cake batter and it has come out excellent.

bakedbycody Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 10

Hobby Lobby carries the LorAnne oils in the candy making section. I just saw that you are from Texas, thats where I get mine from.

sayhellojana Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 10

WalMart has lorann too, at some of them. They only carry a few flavors, but cherry is one of them. It's a strong flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%