Ball Borders

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 28 May 2009 , 1:53pm by pbeckwith

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 18

When making a ball border, do you use fondant or 50/50?

17 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 18

i do all fondant. gumpaste dries faster and is stronger, but i dont think that you need it to do balls. up to you really i think.
xx

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 18

I've also always used just fondant and it seems to work just fine for me.

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 18

100% fondant has always worked for me....

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 18

i agree with everyone else it really doesn't matter what you use for the balls so i go with the cheaper easier way to do it.

and as far as making the balls, that has go to be the most time consuming thing i have EVER done! and it is also very hard to get them all the same size. i ended up rolling out the fondant and using a small cutter to get the same size pieces and then rolling them into balls but they still weren't 100% uniform. is there an easier way of doing it?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 18

the best way is to have them uneven! lol. you can buy moulds to make them even sized, but other wise the best way is rolling it out, cutting it, and then balling it.
xx

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 18

I use 100% fondant for the balls.
I usually roll out a long 'snake' of fondant and cut even sized pieces out of that. It still never comes out even though! Some people fill a teaspoon or tablespoon with fondant to measure it out exactly each time but I don't have the patience for that!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 18

I roll out a fairly thick piece of fondant (usually 1/4-1/2" depending on how large you want them) and using a large icing tip, cut out circles as if I were using a cookie cutter. This makes them all the same size. Then I just roll each one into a ball in my hands.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 18

I don't know if this will help, but I roll out a snake out of fondant and cut them into small pieces and roll in my hand. That way, they come out the same size or just about anyway!
Melissaicon_smile.gif

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 18

I've only done a couple of cakes so far, but two of them had a ball border and I did was Korensmommy and Melissa did. Just roll out a long snake, cut equal sized pieces, and then roll them into balls. I can't imagine doing it any other way unless I was really wanting them to be EXACTLY the same size.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 18

The snake thing is a great idea! I usually use 50/50 but fondant works totally fine.

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:02am
post #12 of 18

I just did them on my cake last night, and I just pulled a chunk off a big ball of fondant and rolled it, I just compared it to the previous ball I made to see if it was approx the same size, if not I took some out or added to it, and they were pretty much the same size.
I think it adds to the character if they are not 100% uniform.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #13 of 18

I recently discovered I had deep measuring spoons that were already a perfectly half shaped ball. I take a small blob of fondant and fill the measuring spoon (whichever size I decide I need), much like a mold, like packing brown sugar. I do 8 - 10 at a time and then go back and roll the ball between my hands. They turn out much more even than when I was doing the snake method. icon_biggrin.gif

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

I recently discovered I had deep measuring spoons that were already a perfectly half shaped ball.

What a great idea - and if you didn't want to roll them into a ball you have a flat surface to put against the cake if you want. Learn something new everyday!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #15 of 18

I love that idea! Gotta' remember that one...

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #16 of 18

I'm going to try that this weekend!! Thanks for sharing !!

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks everyone! It's neat reading the different techniques that are used.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 18

Something different -
I made them out of buttercream. I thickened my left-over buttercream with some more powdered sugar - I think this would be referred to as rolled buttercream, three different colors but mine were supposed to be different sizes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%