Canceling An Order?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 27 May 2009 , 5:24pm by mixinvixen

CakeMommyTX Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 10

At what point in time does the customer get to much to handle and you would cancel an order?
I have a customer that I would like to cancel on and return their deposit.

There is still more then enough time for them to find another baker.

All they do is complain, change there order every other week (and demand a new sketch) , ask for impossible things and then get upset when I say it can't be done and they even complain when the design THEY choose isnt what they wanted.
Oh and did I mention they never even pay me on time, they pay me when they feel like (a week maybe more past the time the cake is delivered).

Yes I'm a sucker and yes I've let this particular customer walk all over me for the past year and a half but I'm fed up and I don't want to mess with it anymore.
Can I cancel and give them their money back or is this against some bakers code of conduct?
I've never done it before but I've never had a customer like this before?

Sorry for the rant, just fed up and annoyed.
Thank you for any advice.

9 replies
ziggytarheel Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 10

If you have an agreement (contract) stating you are doing a certain cake and they are wanting to change that cake, then they are asking for a new agreement...or at least an amendment to the original. The ball is completely in your court. You can agree to their terms or say no.

CakeMommyTX Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 10

No contract, just emails and phone calls. The order has'nt even been finalized yet ( 5 design changes so far)but I do have the deposit to reserve the date.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 10

I suggest you start using a contract, It will help cover you and the customer also. p.s. with the contact you won't have to worry so much about them paying on time!

Neelas_wife Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

I dont have my own cake business so dont really know the C of C details - but from what I am reading in your text - I would simply tell them to find another baker....Esp. when there is no contract....Good Luck!

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 10

Tell the customer that due to time constraints, any future changes and orders from all customers will have to be sealed with a signed contract. In the contract, make sure you limit the time frame or number of changes allowed (whichever comes first) to design or quantity served.

Also note on the contract that all sketches are the property of (your business name), and that all rights are reserved. A caker friend of mine caught potential customers taking her sketches to other bakers in her area. She stopped that by changing her policy, and hung a sign in the shop that the drawings do not leave her shop, but will be given to them upon request at the time of delivery/pick-up.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 10

You could write up a contract, then if she wants to change it write another one with a "re-write fee." (I just thought that one up now.) icon_smile.gif Make sure you put something on the first contract that indicates she'll be charged for changes. Add a clause for extra fees if payment is received late, too. icon_twisted.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 10

Better yet, add a No Cash, No Cake clause. Why bother with late fees if you can't get your regular fee on time?

Do you have a time limit for payment? Most pros require full payment 2-4 weeks prior to pick-up/delivery.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 10

If she has time to find another baker then I would return her deposit with the "I no longer feel I am the right baker for you" explanation.

Seriously, she is wasting your time and I suspect there will be no pleasing her no matter what you do. Move on to the next customer icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 10

"Yes I'm a sucker and yes I've let this particular customer walk all over me for the past year and a half but I'm fed up and I don't want to mess with it anymore.
Can I cancel and give them their money back or is this against some bakers code of conduct?
I've never done it before but I've never had a customer like this before?"

stepping onto soapbox:

WHY IN THE HECK ARE WE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY?????????
you've known and worked with these people for a year and a half, so, quite honestly, you have taught them how you want to be treated by your actions..them trying to walk over you is their perogative, but you letting them is yours. buck up and use the backbone God gave you, finish this order by incorporating the contract others have suggested, no cake if no money, and then write them out of your life for good. rejoice in the knowledge that once this job is done you will never have to ever deal with them again...because you are a business, and can pick and choose your clients. THIS IS YOUR LIFE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!

back into the shadows i go...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%