Frosting/buttercream/icing Question????

Decorating By Danielle1218 Updated 27 May 2009 , 3:05pm by Cake4ever

Danielle1218 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 2

I have a question regarding icing cakes. I have always iced cakes with Buttercream (Wilton's recipe from Book 1....PS, Crisco, Water, Meringue Powder and Extract).

I see SOOOOO many cakes on here where people are using what I would call fancier icing. How do they do that and decorate with it (such as putting it in a decorating bag)????

For example, if someone wanted a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting what would you use? I have always used a "crusting buttercream". I would like to use different icings, but can you decorate with them?

Please guide me.......Thanks.

1 reply
Cake4ever Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 2

Well, I think it's all about trial and error. Have fun experimenting on your family, they will be most honest with you and tell you when they don't like something. I love my basic BC recipe, it's out of the Wilton yearbook with a bit of a tweak. I do use butter, not solely Crisco. I think you will have a standard set of icings that you rely on and come to enjoy. Meanwhile, dig in and have fun experimenting. thumbs_up.gif I suggest IMBC. There are good you tube videos on how to make it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%