Ganache Frosting?? Help Asap!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 27 May 2009 , 4:26pm by cheekymonkey06

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 6

I need help right away... I have a cake order for ganache frosting & I've done it before, but I had buttercream underneath. This client doesn't want buttercream & I was wondering if its ok if I don't ice the cake first in buttercream or if I need to before covering with gnache??

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 6

I personally have never heard of using buttercream under ganache. I've always applied it directly to the cake.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, you don't need to put a layer of buttercream before ganaching the cake. Is it poured ganache you are going o use?

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

I would always put a layer of frosting down. That way you have a glass smooth surface to pour your ganache on. Otherwise you will see all the lumps and such come right through. Maybe she would like a fudge icing underneath? You can do it thin, just as long as it smooths the surface. A crumb coat is fine as long as the surface is smooth. What about using thickened cooled ganache to crumb coat the cake with? Chill it, then pour your warmed ganache over it. I pour mine at 75-80 degrees. Any warmer and it gets so thin.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 6

I was going to suggest the same thing JCE! Frost with thickened ganache first for a pretty surface, then pour warm ganache over that. You should get the look you want without buttercream.

cheekymonkey06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekymonkey06 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 6

I happened to read the tag line under another poster's picture of a ganache cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1357847

It sounds like she uses a 2:1 ganache to first cover the cake and then a 1:1 ganache to pour over it for a smooth finish. I am going to give it a try on a small cake and see how it goes. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%