Decorate Samples?

Decorating By jdrew Updated 27 May 2009 , 5:06pm by brincess_b

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

I'm taking 3 6" cakes in to a restaurant to sample the different flavors. They are thinking of putting a couple of my cakes on their menu. I was wondering on how to decorate them. Just do a top and bottom borders?

Thanks,
Julie

7 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 8

This is really just a bump, since I've never done this before. But, seems like a good way to go. If they're considering your cakes, they must have seen your work before and appreciate you abilities. If they haven't seen your work before, maybe put a little more into it. sounds like a great opportunity! Good luck icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 8

since they will be like desert cakes, i wouldnt make them too fancy. maybe things like coat the sides in nuts or sprinkles, pipe some nice borders (although i dont think you even see much of that on dessert cakes), maybe a chocolate shape, like a squiggle or a circle.
xx

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

i agree - a border would add some extra oomph. maybe some chco shavings, nuts, coconut curls...whatever goes w/ the flavor on top. you see this in high end places where the desert cakes are displayed.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 8

I love the look of a nice homestyle iced cake (lots of waves and ripples in the icing) with some kind of nuts or chocolate shavings or etc on the sides or top. Maybe a border on the bottom but not the top, if homestyle iced.

I always had this thing as a kid that I wanted my cakes to look like the front of a cake mix box. And still to this day I just think that rippled icing looks so inviting! thumbs_up.gif

jdrew Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

I really hope they like them.

jdrew Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 8

I've never done chocolate shavings before. Can you give me an idea on how to get started.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 8

you can just grate chocolate, very homestyle, and easy! or use a knife or peeler to run strips off the chocolate. for more professional chocolate curls im sure theres better techniques, and i think theres an article on here too.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%