Letting Colors Develop Question.....please Help!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 27 May 2009 , 5:52pm by idjitmom

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 4

Ok First time doing red RI. Using Antonia74 recipe.

I am doing it red and I am using Wilton no taste red. Nothing else available around here and no time to order.

All I am getting is a dark pinkish color. Do I have to let red develop? If so how long normally? I have done red buttercream before and it went right to red but the RI isn't doing it.

3 replies
TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 4

Red does need time to set up,.. but i do know from experience using wilton, you need alot of color. When I make red, I usually make it a day ahead of time. then I will know if i need to add more color to it or not.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 4

i let my reds (and blacks) develop overnight.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 4

If you've let it sit overnight & it's still not red, keep working at it. It takes a LOT of red, and the no taste really isn't no taste lol, it's just not quite as bad/the same. Also a hint that has helped me - I have found adding a touch (and just a touch, don't go to far!) of black helps the red come out..

Also, on occasion, when i've just got exasperated with trying to get the red, I'll use whatever the end result is to make whatever I'm making, then painted it w/ a red airbrush color (w/ a paint brush, I don't have an air brush). It dries relatively quickly, and has saved my a*& on a couple of occasions!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%