Need Help Quick...fresh Flowers On Cake???

Business By mommicakes Updated 27 May 2009 , 1:36pm by jmr531

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone, I have been asked to do a cake in July and the btb wants fresh roses on it. Now, I told her that she needs to provide them and to make sure that they are "FOOD SAFE"!!!, she has been told by several other bakers that "I" need to provide them, and that they should have been included in my "quoted price".

Can you all give me your input as to how you handle brides that want fresh flowers on their cakes. Do you purchase from the florist then arrange them???? Or do you have the bride purchase and make sure they are at the venue and then you arrange them on the cake???? How do you all do it.

I need answers kinda fast, I was also asked why I didn't quote them into my price of the cake. My opinion is that I am a cake baker, not a florist, and if she wanted me to supply fresh flowers I would have had to quote much higher on her cake. If she wants silks, it's a non issue, I'll take care of those, but, fresh, I'm thinking not so much.

Please help quick. Thanks,
Donna

1 reply
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 2

I put fresh flowers on a cake once (for my sister's wedding) and the florist provided them.

I'm just a newbie here, but I have always read that if the client wants to use fresh flowers on a wedding cake, they have to arrange for the florist to provide food safe flowers. As you stated, you are responsible for making the cake, you are not a florist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%