Fish Out Of Water!

Decorating By poohthebear Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm by crystalina1977

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have an idea how to make a bass jumping out of the water (3D)? i am blank on this one.

8 replies
gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 9

You could have the cake as the water and then carve a fish shape out of foam and cover with gumpaste. Then insert some dowels into the fish structure and insert into the cake.

Depending on how large you need the fish (which Im guessing would be pretty large) but if its small you could make it all out of gumpaste. If you leave the tail off of the fish structure and place the dowel there instead, when you insert it into the cake it should look like its jumping out of the water. HTH

poohthebear Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 9

Thanks gr8cakemaker! You have given me some good ideas! Think you're right cake as the water but the fish made from RKT covered with modeling chocolate it needs to be pretty big.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 9

I searched the galleries and these were two I remembered seeing and thought they were cute and funny. There are a quite a few more under "sports - fishing". I'm sure you could PM the poster and they would probably share their technique.

Good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=91761

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=363573

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 9

i have made a couple of bass fish for cakes (in my photos) and I agree with making them out of RKT, you could definitely mount one on a dowel and stick the dowel into the cake, make waves and or splashing out of icing (or whatever you're working with) underneath the fish and to cover the dowel. it will look great. however, i did not use modeling chocolate to cover, i used fondant.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 9

Christalina: I had to check out your fish cake icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif That is too funny! I added to my favorites. Great job! Did you make it out of rkt?

crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 9

thanks =) yes they are both made from RKT

poohthebear Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 9

Crystalina! What an adorable cake! You are very talented! Thanks for the help.

crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 9

thanks and you're welcome! feel free to pm me with any questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%