How Do I Put A Dowell Through 2Tiers

Decorating By Sweetgrl1963 Updated 28 May 2009 , 1:29am by Alice1230

Sweetgrl1963 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 5

I am wanting to transport a stacked cake. I have stacked them previously on site. But I see here that some are stacking ahead of time and placing a dowell through all cakes for stability first of all how do I sharpen the dowell to go through the cake board.
? pencil sharpener? Or do I puncture the board before I put the cake on. Thanks in advance.

4 replies
Loucinda Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 5

Yep, I use a dedicated electric pencil sharpener - get it real sharp and then use your hammer to put it through. I use foamcore bases, so it hammers right into the base too.

jammjenks Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 5

Sharpen with a pencil sharpener that is dedicated to cakes only. Then just push/hammer through to the bottom. Make sure you cut the dowel shorter than the height of your cake and fill the top hole with icing or cover it with a topper. It is not necessary to cut holes in boards.

Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 5

I use a serrated knife to sharpen it and just use my hands to push it thorugh the boards.

Alice1230 Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Yep, I use a dedicated electric pencil sharpener - get it real sharp and then use your hammer to put it through. I use foamcore bases, so it hammers right into the base too.

This is what I do. works very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%