Help! Need An Idea!

Decorating By angeleyes5 Updated 27 May 2009 , 7:10pm by angeleyes5

angeleyes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 19

I am going to make a cake for my 9-year-old and my 3-year-old nephew. It is going to be a simple sheet cake for the boys to share. I want to make the decorations a couple of weeks ahead of time since we are all going on vacation together. I am thinking of using gum paste since that can be make ahead well in advance. Does anyone have any suggestions of decorations that I can make well in advance? I would like to make the decorations ahead of time so then I can just place on cake after frosting and call it finished.

Any ideas of what to make would be appreciated?

18 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 19

i guess they wont go for flowers!
how about sports - different kinds of balls?
animals - zoo, farmyard, sea ceatures?
just polka dots
if you do flat shapes, you could just do them in fondant, like the dots or balls, as long as you dont try to bend them on the cake.
xx

angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 19

No, flowers are out of the question! LOL! I don't think they would go for that!

I kind of like the ball idea! Does anyone have any tutorials on making baseballs/basketball/footballs for gumpaste or fondant?

brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 19

i would take the easy way out, and make flat balls, just circles, with a bit of piping/ stuck on accents for the detail.
if they like something like base ball, you could do a 3d ball and bat. or soccer - a ball and shoe! i know there are shoe tutorials on here. for the balls, i would just copy a picture.
xx

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 19

Do you know what they are interested in? Do they like sports, is there a favorite team or show, or game they like? You could print any clip art off the internet, or page from a coloring book and do a frozen buttercream transfer. It will keep in the freezer for quite a while.

angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 19

How do you do a frozen buttercream transfer that keeps in the freezer? Would that travel well in the car for 4 hours?

laurensmitty1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurensmitty1982 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 19

I made little animals out of gumpaste with cookie cutters and decorated them with some food coloring, it was really quick and they werent fragile so I was worried about them sitting or getting bumped before my sons party..

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 19

Oh, I didnt realize you were doing the cake while away on vacation, I was thinking you'd be coming home and it would need to be ready. No a BCT wouldnt travel. Sorry didnt read your question thoroughly.

angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 19

What does everyone think of a basic polka dot design for a boys birthday cake?

How long would the fondant keep for? Would it be good if made 2 weeks in advance? Should it be refrigerated, freezed, or just stored at room temperature to prevent cracking?

brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 19

polka dots are good for everyone! the fondant will dry, and if you then try to bend them at all, they will crack, but as long as they stay flat (lift them with a spatula) they will look great. id just keep it at room temp, in a box somewhere.
xx

angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks!

If I bought an actual cake topper. What is the best place to buy one of those kits online?

brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 19

you can buy those things at prety much any cake store, even ur local supermarket might have those things. especially if you go for something thats really just a toy, like some race cars. make a green cake (grass) and on the day, youd need some gray/ black fondant to make a race track.
xx

angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 19

Do you happen to know a good web store to purchase cookie cutters?

brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 19

im afraid im in the uk, so use different sites! but most cake decorating stores will have them, different ones have different cutters, so it might take a bit of looking to find something, if its a bit different.
xx

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 19

I suggest a large flat fondant decoration to place on the cake like a truck, ball, animal or something the boys like. Maybe a replica of a video game they like.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 19

i just posted a coral reef cake on in my photos. check it out...a week ahead, i made the coral and fish in gumpaste and then just placed them on the cake the day of delivery. very easy!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 19

You could do candy melts and decorate the cake with them.
I did this for a all sport ball cake, fondant with candy melts, or you can decorate with cookies also.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313304

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 19

candy melts are a great idea! extra treats to enjoy!!

angeleyes5 Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 19

I love the candy melt idea! That does sound like an extra treat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%