Need Help With Dummy Cake

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 27 May 2009 , 12:28pm by Loucinda

Karenelli Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make a dummy cake for a wedding. Well, actually 2 layers of the cake will be dummy. If I use styrofoam how does this work. I am definitely using fondant to cover the cakes. Could someone tell me how to go about this? Where can I buy the large size (14", 16") rounds? I also thought about trying RKT. Someone on CC had a great thread that showed a a 3 tier cake made with RKT. Do you put a layer of RI and then fondant or use BC and then fondant. I have to make the cakes in the next week and could really use some help. Please and thank you in advance to all of you for the great tips in the past.

2 replies
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 3

well, you would usually order the styrofoam dummies, if you google the words dallas and the word foam, you should find somewhere quite popular. but im not sure if delivery would be in time to decorate. you can carve your own dummies, if you can find the foam, or you might have a local foam shop that has something. you just make them damp (water, piping gel, bc, whatever) and cover with fondant as usual. do get the ones with rounded edges, or you might have problems with the corner ripping the fondant.

if you go the rkt route, it just needs to be smooth for the fondant. it can help to crush some of the rice krispes. then cover the shape with whatever again, royal, bc, chocolate, then do your fondant.

Loucinda Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 3

When you get the dummies, take a spare piece of styrofoam and "sand" the rough uneven spots - if there is a mark on that dummie, it will more than likely show through the fondant. Also you can "roll" the top edge of the dummie on your counter to take that real sharp edge off of it - just gently roll it right on that edge, and it will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%