Never Using Bc Again Under Fondant

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:27pm by yortma

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #421 of 507

It sounds all right.
Stuff is scary at first, isn't it? I still get butterflies trying something new.

BTW, I looked at your website - I love your necklaces (and if your 'clean' cakes are any indication, you're going to fall in love with the ganache once you get it just the way you like it.)

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:52pm
post #422 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdripley

Oh no!!! Just went to put it on my cake and it felt like buttercream. It just didnt harden enough. It still smells amazing and looks decent but is NOT what I was going for. This would not work under fondant as I assume it will stay slick. Can it be saved?

It is the consistancy of peanut butter when you put on cake. There is a tuitorial on pg 28, i think or close to that. do sides first. it will harden up. i let my cakes set another night. Brush with thin jam or simple syrup before covering with fondant. You will love it! Get it smooth, use hot knife method too.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #423 of 507

So glad I found this thread. Read the whole thing and can't wait to try it soon. Thanks for all the info.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #424 of 507

It should continue to harden a bit as it sits out.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #425 of 507

I am going to make MacsMom's Irish Cream Cake and I am thinking about using the chocolate ganache for filling and frosting then covering with fondant. Do you think I could add some irish cream liqour to it and how much... I am going to use 1/2 semisweet 1/2 milk chocolate also. I have told my customer about this ganache but she doesn't like dark chocolate and requested this combo...I told her the cream gives the dark chocolate a softer taste but she is adament about it! Would I use the dark choc ratio or white choc ratio? I know lots of q's but I know she will refer alot of people to me so I want it perfect (almost icon_rolleyes.gif ) Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

ilovemakingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemakingcakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #426 of 507

Read the whole thread and tried this method myself today -great success!!! Am delighted as I do not like buttercream. AM going to also order the Planet CAke book. Thanks

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #427 of 507

Ok...I really have nothing of substance to add to this thread because I have yet to work with ganache (still trying to get a firm grasp of the BC).

I just wanted to say that MikeRowesHunny....i love your profile pic. icon_lol.gif

That's it.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #428 of 507

FINALLY got to try this for a wedding topper cake on a brownie tower! I have a quick question though, and please don't smack me if this has been addressed... I've forgotten some of what I've read over the weeks I've read this! icon_redface.gif

Do any of you put BC under your ganache, or just ganache straight on the cake? How do you get your ganache nice and smooth? I made thicker ganache and applied with a spatula, fairly smoothed, then in the fridge. Covered with chocolate fondant, and it was really nice. But, any little bumps or wrinkles will show through the fondant, so I want to know the best way to get it nice and smooth.

I have to say I liked the way it worked... though it was only a small topper cake. But I was doing chocolate over chocolate, so I didn't have to worry about color showing through.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #429 of 507

You did the right kind of ganache.
To smooth it, dip a spatula in hot water, dry, and smooth out the ganache. The hot spatula melts the chocolate in the ganache just enough to get it smooth.
HTH

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #430 of 507

Ok, that sounds about right. thumbs_up.gif When I do ganache it's usually supposed to have that rather rustic look, so this is different! Thanks!

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #431 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulce925

I think the ganache idea sounds pretty awesome! I would love to see photos of the finished cake. Please post some.

what is ganache? is it a type of icing? Does anyone have a recipe for ganache that they would recommend?

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #432 of 507

I was finally brave enough to give this a try. Very happy with the results. I did a semisweet choc ganache for the bottom tier and white chocolate for the top. The semisweet ganache seemed a little too thin when I spread it on the cake, but it firmed up very nicely after it set for awhile. (could have been because it was pretty hot in my kitchen) I also put it in the fridge for about 15 min before applying the fondant to make sure it was good and firm so I could finally attempt to get the sharp edges I've been admiring. So my results? Not bad for an ameture and I'm sure with pratice, I'll get much better. Another thing that made me extremly happy....NO BULGES!

I tried (without success) to find the post in this thread where someone posted a link to a great tutorial...there's a couple of them...but the one I really liked was the one where you apply ganache to the whole cake, put waxpaper on top, then cakeboard on that, then turn the whole cake upside down and smooth the sides. When you turn the cake back over and take off the board and waxpaper, the top edges are SHARP! It's genious. Thanks to whoever posted this...I wish I could find it again to re-post. The tutorial is excellent.

debbief Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:20pm
post #433 of 507

OK I still can't find the post but I found the link (I remembered I saved it).

Here it is...again. Because I think it's worth posting it again icon_biggrin.gif

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #434 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Another thing that made me extremly happy....NO BULGES!

I'm going to spread ganache around my torso!! We might be onto something here!! icon_lol.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #435 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

I'm going to spread ganache around my torso!! We might be onto something here!! icon_lol.gif

OMG! I'm dying over here! That's about the funniest thing I've read today (better than the thread about writing "Curt" in cursive on a cake looking like something else....).

Back to the topic (still snickering), I keep finding conflicting threads on whether or not ganache-covered cakes can be left out for a day or two, or if they have to be refrigerated. Which is it? I might switch to this but have been a bit leary as my state requires anything I sell to be "non-hazardous". They don't have a detailed yay/nay list, just baked goods, etc.

debbief Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #436 of 507
Quote:

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif If only it were that easy!

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #437 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

OMG! I'm dying over here! That's about the funniest thing I've read today (better than the thread about writing "Curt" in cursive on a cake looking like something else....).

Curt... curt... hmmmmmmm C-U-R-T. Nope, I'm not really seeing where that is going... what on *earth* could Curt be mistaken for...? icon_confused.gif Hmmm... let me look in this dictionary... C... CU... hmm hmm hmm. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif YOU PEOPLE should be ashamed of yourselves!! Heheheheheh.

emrldsky Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #438 of 507
Quote:

Quote:

Curt... curt... hmmmmmmm C-U-R-T. Nope, I'm not really seeing where that is going... what on *earth* could Curt be mistaken for...? icon_confused.gif Hmmm... let me look in this dictionary... C... CU... hmm hmm hmm. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif YOU PEOPLE should be ashamed of yourselves!! Heheheheheh.

icon_cry.gif Now now...be honest. Did you really have to look it up??? lolololol

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #439 of 507

icon_twisted.gif That's why it's funny hon... I am a nice person, but I can swear like a sailor! I have to admit, *that* particular word isn't used except in extremely rare situations. It's kind of a like the unwritten 'woman' rule I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

emrldsky Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #440 of 507
Quote:

icon_twisted.gif That's why it's funny hon... I am a nice person, but I can swear like a sailor! I have to admit, *that* particular word isn't used except in extremely rare situations. It's kind of a like the unwritten 'woman' rule I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, my question was equally sarcastic. *snort* I have to be extremely angry to use that one as well. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #441 of 507
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, my question was equally sarcastic. *snort* I have to be extremely angry to use that one as well. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh yah, on the rare occasions I've cracked off with that, people knew there was trouble.

amber5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amber5678 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #442 of 507

Have you posted pics of the cake? What were comments on the taste with the ganache?

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #443 of 507

Ok so I've only made ganache 1 time, and it did not turn out well. I know you use a double boiler to melt the chocolate, but could someone maybe explain how to make ganache for filling and "icing". The one I made previously was whipped should I whip this one as well. Is it only choc, and cream?

debbief Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:45pm
post #444 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber5678

Have you posted pics of the cake? What were comments on the taste with the ganache?

Don't know if you're asking me but I posted a pic of the cake I did. It's the barbie cake. The edges aren't as sharp as they could be but that's because I had issues with the quilting pattern. It was my first time trying that as well and I had to apply an extra layer of fondant because I screwed up the first attempt at quilting...but man you should have seen the sharp edge on the first layer of fondant icon_redface.gif

I was told it tasted very good but I didn't taste the cake myself so sometimes I wonder if people are just being nice. I do know that the ganache tasted very good before I put it on the cake... I whipped extra cream and added some ganache to that for a mousse filling...

But look, NO BULGES! That's big for me because as you can see I have lots of bulges in my other pics. icon_redface.gif

debbief Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #445 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaPeach

Ok so I've only made ganache 1 time, and it did not turn out well. I know you use a double boiler to melt the chocolate, but could someone maybe explain how to make ganache for filling and "icing". The one I made previously was whipped should I whip this one as well. Is it only choc, and cream?

The way it's explained here is you bring the cream just to a boil and then pour it slowly over your chopped up (or chips) chocolate and wisk until the chocolate is all melted. I believe you can whip it. Can someone else confirm that part? And yes it's only chocolate and cream. I've seen some recipes with butter in it too but I haven't tried that.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #446 of 507

I am very excited! I just got the Planet book and would like to try the ganache. I have only managed to get through 10 pages of the post, so I ask forgiveness if this has been asked.

I understand that you cover the cake once it has cooled and once the ganache is ready. Does the cake HAVE to be at room temp? Sometimes I bake in advance and I am trying to figure out how to time it all. Also, in the book they ALWAYS use the ganache as a filling. I still want to be able to use other fillings - what is my limitation with them? I mean, if these cakes are to sit out for 24 hours after filling and coating, wouldn't it spoil the filling (like cookies 'n cream)?

Lastly, since this is chocolate and you would be working fondant over it with your hands, wouldn't the ganache start to soften from the warmth of your hands?

Sorry for the questions and if you've answered them previously. But I have chocolate and heavy cream and cake - I would love to try this today if possible.

Oh yeah, one more question - do I now have to figure out if chocolate is going to "work with the flavor of the cake and filling?

TIA icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #447 of 507
Quote:

The way it's explained here is you bring the cream just to a boil and then pour it slowly over your chopped up (or chips) chocolate and wisk until the chocolate is all melted. I believe you can whip it. Can someone else confirm that part? And yes it's only chocolate and cream. I've seen some recipes with butter in it too but I haven't tried that.

I've whipped ganache in the past. On my first attempt at making it, I didn't have my ratio right, and it was liquid after refridgerating it, so I whipped it and it came out to be a nice mousse - I used it as a yummy filling for my cake.

ptrish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptrish Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:43am
post #448 of 507

I just tried this for my daughter's birthday cake. I started to freak out when the ganache tore my cake. It just needed to go in the micro for about 20 seconds. It covered so cleanly and no bumps. Oh, and it is so yummy. My daughter is a huge chocolate nut!! I can't wait to put my fondant on tomorrow and see how it looks. Thanks so much.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #449 of 507

Yesterday I did a chocolate fudge cake with whipped buttercream icing between the 2 layers then covered it in a chocolate ganache. OMG, it was to die for! I loved the taste, but working with the ganache instead of regular buttercream was a dream!!! I can't wait to do this again. Thanks everyone for all your good suggestions on these last 32 pages of this post!! thumbs_up.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:35am
post #450 of 507

I had an idea...has anyone ever used ganache around the sides only, like an extra external dam to help stop buldges or leakage? That is if ganache is not wanted as the main icing.
I'm thinking that I have a cake due this weekend, customer doesn't want too sweet, so i'm going with SMBC. She wants a strawberry filling with whipped icing. I made the filling from scratch, and dont want it to ooze out. I might try some white chocolate ganache around the outside filling line only, let set and then cover with SMBC. Just a thought, ganache does get expensive, but I loveee the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%