Never Using Bc Again Under Fondant

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:27pm by yortma

naomipalomares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naomipalomares Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #301 of 507

I've read through the entire thread and didn't see anything about sugar free chocolate. Can it be used in ganache? I have a lot of diabetics in my family and making cakes is difficult. I'm trying to find as much as possible sugar free.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #302 of 507

I read through this thread.

I now have a headache!

However- I think I've got some info down!! Thanks ladies!! icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #303 of 507

Thanks Lita829, I sure was hoping I could, thanks again
Deborah

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #304 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Thanks Lita829, I sure was hoping I could, thanks again
Deborah

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #305 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

I read through this thread.

I now have a headache!

However- I think I've got some info down!! Thanks ladies!! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif - It gets a bit like that doesn't it *onlymadaresane* -
To make Dark/Milk chocolate Ganache this is all you have to remember -

Dark/Milk chocolate (Cadburys or Nestle) suggested 300mls cream to 600g choc

Pour you cream into a saucepan -
Bring to the boil -
Take off stove -
Pour Cream over Chocolate -
Carefully turn on mixer and start mixing until all combined - then -
Turn mixer up and whip until all smooth and creamy -
At this stage it looks thick and runny -
Allow to cool slightly on kitchen bench -
Put mixing bowl into your fridge until ready to use. - OR
Put in container and pop in freezer for up to 3 months.

When you take it out of the fridge it will be just on solid - just allow to come to room temperature and then give a quick whip and voula - your right to go. thumbs_up.gif

The cream i use is what we call over here WHPPING CREAM.
Also known as POURING CREAM - (resembles thick milk)
What you would use to whip up and then put on top of a Pie, Fruit Salad etc.

Hope that eases your headache - icon_smile.gif
Bh.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #306 of 507

Whew.. I finally made it to the end. Thanks to all you great cc'ers for the wealth of information. Now I've got totr my hand at this yummy method. Thanks again!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:57am
post #307 of 507

I was wondering, and anyone can jump in, can I tint the white chocolate ganache pink? I have this pink cake thing in my mind and was wondering if I could color it pink BUT still make it harden enough for fondant.

ideas?

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #308 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

I was wondering, and anyone can jump in, can I tint the white chocolate ganache pink? I have this pink cake thing in my mind and was wondering if I could color it pink BUT still make it harden enough for fondant.

ideas?

Indeed - altho i haven't icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Hmmm, i am thinking that as soon as the milk has boiled you could add it then - that way it would be incorporated better that way.
Liquid colouring are you thinking of using - or powder.
Think i would go for a drop or two of the liquid (gel)

Bluehue
icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #309 of 507

i have the gel, yes. maybe a teeny amount. thanks bluehue!

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #310 of 507

Come back and let us know how it goes AKA-ccs.
Might be helpful for others who have thought of doing the same thing...

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

sleepy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy33 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #311 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

It can be a little tricky working with ganache in warm, humid weather. I don't have air conditioning, either, and I always have to put the ganache in the fridge to firm up to the consistency that I want. Otherwise, it takes forever to firm up...if it firms up at all. I use the 3:1 (Cream to regular chocolate) and the 2:1 for (Cream to White Chocolate) recipes.

HTH

Ok, is this a typo, or are the ratios you quoted just completely opposite from everyone elses? Standard seems to be that the ratio is CHOCHOLATE:CREAM not cream:chocolate as you have posted. And consensus appears to be 3:1 white choc:cream, 2:1 dark/milk choc:cream and 1:1 choc:cream for pourable ganache. Am I nuts, cause your post really made me say WTH? Sorry if I'm just confused...

Bluehue Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #312 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy33

Quote:

It can be a little tricky working with ganache in warm, humid weather. I don't have air conditioning, either, and I always have to put the ganache in the fridge to firm up to the consistency that I want. Otherwise, it takes forever to firm up...if it firms up at all. I use the 3:1 (Cream to regular chocolate) and the 2:1 for (Cream to White Chocolate) recipes.

HTH

Ok, is this a typo, or are the ratios you quoted just completely opposite from everyone elses? Standard seems to be that the ratio is CHOCHOLATE:CREAM not cream:chocolate as you have posted. And consensus appears to be 3:1 white choc:cream, 2:1 dark/milk choc:cream and 1:1 choc:cream for pourable ganache. Am I nuts, cause your post really made me say WTH? Sorry if I'm just confused...

Sleepy 33 - No your not nuts - thumbs_up.gif

These are the ratios i use - perhaps the above poster got it around the wrong way - Yes, you are right, its always MORE chocolate than cream -
unless you want a thin pouring ganach - then its 1:1.

Dark/Milk chocolate (Cadburys or Nestle) suggested 300mls cream to 600g choc

White chocolate (Cadburys or Nestle) suggested 360g choc to 150ml cream.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

sleepy33 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #313 of 507

Whew, ok, thanks!! I'm thinking of attempting ganache for a cake for Thursday, and felt like I had a pretty good handle on it, til I got to that one. Thanks again!

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #314 of 507

So, I tried it with white chocolate. I did one part whipping cream, three parts chocolate. Didn't turn out right, but made a great cupcake filling! icon_smile.gif It drooped right off of the cake (it was a tester so it wasn't a big deal). Not sure if it's just too humid here or not? I used 36 ounces of white chocolate and 12 ounces of heavy whipping cream. Did I do something wrong? It tastes great as a cupcake filling! lol icon_confused.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #315 of 507

Cheerio, what brand of white chocolate did you use? I know that different brands aren't really white chocolate but are just flavored that way. They don't work as well as the real thing.

Lita829 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #316 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy33

Quote:

HTH

Ooopppps...it was a typo icon_redface.gif .

Bluehue Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #317 of 507

sleepy33

Whew, ok, thanks!! I'm thinking of attempting ganache for a cake for Thursday, and felt like I had a pretty good handle on it, til I got to that one. Thanks again!
Glad to help - the whole thread was enough to read without it cauisng you a headspin - icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio623

So, I tried it with white chocolate. I did one part whipping cream, three parts chocolate. Didn't turn out right, but made a great cupcake filling! icon_smile.gif It drooped right off of the cake (it was a tester so it wasn't a big deal).
After you made it - did you pop it in the fridge for a while - so as to firm up - yet still spreadable?
Not sure if it's just too humid here or not?
It gets very humid over here in summer time also - and sometimes i have to work fast - or just popping it back into the fridge for a minnie whilst covering/torting a cake. I used 36 ounces of white chocolate and 12 ounces of heavy whipping cream. Did I do something wrong?
No -
You did beat it good and proper - didn't you?

It tastes great as a cupcake filling! lol icon_confused.gif
Yes, it is good for that isn't it?
Also as a cupcake decoration with a little fondant shape popped on top
Or a *ganache* swirl piped on top of a cupcake

Also what GrandmaG said about it being a proper white choclate is true.
Just check what it says on the packet next time you buy it

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #318 of 507

cheerio, grandmaG has a point. Also how long did you let it set up?

sleepy33 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #319 of 507
Quote:

Ooopppps...it was a typo icon_redface.gif .

Well, glad we got it straightened out then! I was thinking man, if that's the ratios she uses, I don't think it's the heat/humidity that is keeping her ganache from setting up! icon_wink.gif Then I looked at all your lovely photos and thought maybe you were just some sort of ganache wizard and had the ability to make the ganache do your bidding no matter what ratio you used. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #320 of 507

Lita829 wrote:
Ooopppps...it was a typo icon_redface.gif

Just blame it on the heat - icon_wink.gif
thumbs_up.gif

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #321 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

ideas?

I've done this. I actually used the oil-based colors used to tint chocolates. Since my white chocolate had a slight ivory tint (not pure white), it was hard to match it exactly with the pink fondant.

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #322 of 507

I made 3 ganache covered cakes this weekend using semisweet and cream (2:1) with about 2 TBL butter added. I let the ganache set up for about 4 hours and it worked beautifully! Everyone for every cake raved about the taste and one person even said "I don't eat cake but I tried yours and it was better than any wedding cake I've ever had"! I was blown away and was honored by the compliment. The majority said it was that delicious layer of "ganache" under the fondant that really made the cake and the rest said they couldn't believe how moist it was. I was very pleased and have been converted to ganache under fondant instead of BC! Good luck to all!

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #323 of 507

I tried this over the weekend and I have mixed emotions....the person i made it for said it tasted AWESOME! BUT, it was very hot this weekend and the ganach started to melt under the fondant and oozed out of the bottom. I had to put the cake in the freezer to harden the ganache. I was sooo scared b/c the cake had a huge gumpaste bow and I thought the bow would start to get soft once it thawed. I love the taste....maybe I'll try it again when the weather gets cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat the melting???

Lita829 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #324 of 507

Thanks for the compliment, sleepy33! I don't know what I was thinking when I typed in those ratios icon_confused.gif . Hmmm maybe it was the heat or even better... time for some ZZZZZZs!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #325 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatiMF30

I made 3 ganache covered cakes this weekend using semisweet and cream (2:1) with about 2 TBL butter added. I let the ganache set up for about 4 hours and it worked beautifully! Everyone for every cake raved about the taste and one person even said "I don't eat cake but I tried yours and it was better than any wedding cake I've ever had"! I was blown away and was honored by the compliment. The majority said it was that delicious layer of "ganache" under the fondant that really made the cake and the rest said they couldn't believe how moist it was. I was very pleased and have been converted to ganache under fondant instead of BC! Good luck to all!

Congratulations NatiMF30! Isn't it wonderful to get such compliments! My step daughter ( I call her my bonus daughter) was from The Woodlands and went to A & M.

naomipalomares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naomipalomares Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #326 of 507

I was wondering if sugar free chocolate can be used.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #327 of 507

argh... looking forward to doing this but can't find candy oil colors here, might just use buttercream...

hwhite0131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwhite0131 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #328 of 507

Great thread! Thank you for sharing. I have an easy question: Where did you all purchase the Planet Cake book? Sorry if this has already been answered I'm really tired and only got to page 8. Thank you.

Bluehue Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:15am
post #329 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhite0131

Great thread! Thank you for sharing. I have an easy question: Where did you all purchase the Planet Cake book? Sorry if this has already been answered I'm really tired and only got to page 8. Thank you.

hwhite0131 - if you click on this link - it will take you to the home page oof Planet Cake (in Sydney - Australia)

http://www.planetcake.com.au/

Once opened - look to your left and you will see a picture of the book - click on that and it will take you to the on line outlet - where you can buy it on line.

Hope this helps.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

hwhite0131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwhite0131 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #330 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhite0131

hwhite0131 - if you click on this link - it will take you to the home page oof Planet Cake (in Sydney - Australia)

http://www.planetcake.com.au/

Once opened - look to your left and you will see a picture of the book - click on that and it will take you to the on line outlet - where you can buy it on line.

Hope this helps.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much Bluehue! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%