Anyone From Stirling, Scotland? (Or Surrounding Areas?)

Lounge By kellertur Updated 28 May 2009 , 5:50pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 6

We are planning to make the big move to Stirling sometime in the next few years... we were there several years ago and decided then that Stirling just felt like our home. At the time we couldn't get work visas because of "foot and mouth" crisis... we are now almost at a place where we can finally make the move.

Can anyone please share cost of living information, etc.? Do they license home bakers? Job availability? Cost of housing? I sincerely would appreciate any info you can give me. If you can even point me in the right direction to find this info, I'd be very grateful.

I'd be happy to do this through PM, if necessary.

thank you icon_smile.gif

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:53am
post #2 of 6

i lived in stirling for 4 years, i loved it! now im in edinburgh.
in comparision to edinburgh, the price of property in stirling is really cheap, ur money goes a lot further. www.espc.co.uk will let you do a search on the properties available, so you can find some numbers to work on.

dont know about the home baking thing, and as for jobs, probably not great. as with the whole of the uk, theres not much going anywhere. stirling is a small place, with a lot of students, so there is a lot of competition for the jobs. but then again, edinburghs a freaking nightmare just now too.

id say cost of living is the same as edinburgh, food wise theres a tescos right in the centre of town, morrisons just outside, asda over in falkirk about 30 minutes away.

its a really beautiful place. bridge of allan is right next to stirling, its more villiagey, and more expensive, but it does have beautiful houses, and lovely shops. the uni campus is open to all, its got a gorgeous loch you can walk around, the gym is great too.
xx

kellertur Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info. icon_smile.gif

I'm thinking I could apply for a teaching job at Glasgow School of Art or one of the Art Museums. I believe it was only a 20 min bus ride from Stirling, if I remember correctly.

I had an art professor in college teach there one semeseter on Sabattical, and a few friends that attended the art school for a year. I remember the almost 90 degree hill we had to climb to get there... icon_biggrin.gif

I appreicate your help and the link. I'll not bore you with anymore reminiscing... it just felt like "home". icon_rolleyes.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 6

i think il break your heart with the bus times, but even driving to glasgow takes 45 mins, bus probably longer! and rush hour in glasgow is a bad time, lol. doable but not much fun.
there is a few art places in stirling, considering its pretty small, you never know, maybe you get lucky.
i love stirling, if you do make the move, i hope u will be happy!
xx

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry K2, you can only move with your sisters of the tables approval. icon_lol.gif
If you take me with you I vote yes.

kellertur Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

That's weird, maybe my memory is clouded (rose colored glasses).
I could have sworn it was less than 30 min... but then again, once I spent 15 minutes on a bus and swore it felt like DAYS... so my sense of time isn't always spot on.

Melissa~ we'll send for your things... unless you're a contortionist and can easily fold into a suitcase. icon_confused.gif We'll save on airfare, although you'll probably need a chiropractor when we land. icon_biggrin.gif
I hope things are looking up for you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%