Seriously ...are You Kidding Me?

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 29 May 2009 , 5:04am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 19

I love my kids but today has been rough. I finally got to that point where bed time was nearing for sweet relief. When I noticed hair in the bathroom sink. I started questioning "Who cut their hair?!" When my little boy (almost 4) says "Kyra did it, she cut my hair!"
She took play scissors that my oldest was using for an art project and sneaked them off for a moment without her noticing and while I was doing laundry. He has a few small bald patches down to the scalp. I had to shave his head and he looks bald. His hair is blond and he looks clean shaved like he took a razor to his head. I don't know if I should laugh or cry...so I'm deciding to laugh.

18 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #2 of 19

icon_surprised.gif OOPS!!!! Better to laugh! Look at it this way, atleast it was a boy and not a girl with beautiful long hair...AND it will grow back. Not that it helps..... icon_rolleyes.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 19

Hey there you~ I'd probably have to laugh too... our kids are about the same age and I think we'd go insane if we didn't laugh. Mine is a little sweetie-pie, but she LOVES to badger... asks the same question over and over and over even when she gets the answer she wants.

You're a great Mom, M. icon_smile.gif

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 19

laugh... and take pictures to show his future wife.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:04am
post #5 of 19

You know, that's kind of a kid's 'right of passage'..
icon_smile.gif
Kids hair grows so fast, smile and take pictures, you'll be glad you did!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:48am
post #6 of 19

My brother did the same thing to me but with pinking sheers!!! Right before picture day at school. my bangs looked like ^^^^^^^^ icon_razz.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 19

I smell a future hairstylist icon_lol.gif

That's the kind of thing that you just HAVE to laugh at........only not in front of the kids.

Heck, when I was little I cut everything's hair! My dolls, my dog, my nieces and nephews when they came to visit..........I always knew that's what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I have some pretty hilarious school pictures of myself with my *own* designer hairdos.

mkolmar Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 19

I took him to pre-school this morning and his teacher gasped and asked what happened to his hair. Thank goodness he's a boy and can get away with a shaved head. I just need to remember to use sunblock on his whole head now.
This is the 3rd hair cutting incident we've had in our house. The first 2 happened when my oldest daughter cut her bangs and the second time she cut her bangs and my youngest daughters. When I took her to the hair stylist to fix it, she said she actually didn't do to bad of a job. Who knows maybe both my girls will be hairstylists. icon_lol.gif

I know it's a right of passage with children but yikes, it looks like a bird pecked at his head.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 19

poor guy - but, they all do it. shoot, my step son cut on his, when he was like 12! at least it will grow back quickly.

my niece decided her bangs were too long, so she cut them even w/ her hair line! like 3 weeks before school started! and her little sister...ooh, she had the most beautiful red hair, streaked w/ blonde, halfway down her back. she decided it was ugly and she started chopping. by the time they got it evened out, it was about an inch below her ears! we all cried on that one!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 19

It's nice to have a short haircut for the summer! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
(At least that's what I tell my dog when I take her to the groomer!)

Hey, it could be worse - my friend cut her dad's hair when he was napping - it could have been YOU!!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #11 of 19

I was using clippers to trim my oldest ones hair and gave him a little bald spot, and he was in junior high! Thank goodness his hair is was short and super dark. Every morning for a few weeks I just covered the bald spot with mascara til it grew in :0

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #12 of 19

I work in an elementary school and there are at least 40 kids at any given time with chunks gone from their hair! There's a little girl who's been in PreK for 2 years, and I don't think I've ever seen her with all her hair the same length!
I know my daughter cut off a HUGE hunk of her hair right behind her bangs (thank goodness), almost to the scalp when she was about 4. I looked at her for hours trying to figure out what was wrong before I figured it out.
Now, my older son was smarter...he cut his baby brothers hair, never his own. My youngest had gorgeous ringlets, and I was always finding them in the trash. Well, at least I have some saved in his baby book!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #13 of 19

I feel for you but I have to tell you it's kinda more painful when you wake up from a nap to see a pile of your own hair lying next to you.....yep, I was taking a nap and their dad went outside to mow the lawn and they gave Mom a trim!

This was at least 7 years ago and they still laugh about it.....I sob quietly. icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #14 of 19

Well the saga continues. My 2 daughters caught head lice from school. I got a notice to check their hair because someone in their classes had lice and a few days later there it is.
My oldest daughters hair that's dark brown and down to her butt is now cut into a chin length bob. My other daughter who has red curly hair that was to the middle of the back is now at ear length. I had to cut it since their hair is so long, so I have better control over this.
Their hair looks bad, especially my red heads. I can't get it fixed till they are cleared either. I feel like the worst parent in the world. I just want to cry but I know I won't because it's not my nature.
My oldest had an allergic reaction to the lice hair treatment and she has these red welts now and some of her skin is starting to flake off. Her fist friends birthday party is this weekend and I have to cancel it now. My youngest is crying she wants her long hair like Ariel back.
Their last week of school is next week and I don't even know if I'll be able to send them.

In less than 24 hours 3 out of 4 of my kids has had hair trauma! I hope that the curse ends tomorrow because I can't handle another 24 hours like this (not including the 2 deaths of friends fathers and family drama.)

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:43am
post #15 of 19

((((( HUGS ))))) for you M. You are not a bad parent... I'm sorry all this is happening at once... icon_sad.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 19

Whenever I go through something like this with my kids I have to remind myself (at least 50x a day) that in 20 years this will be just a funny memory...Take some pictures of them together, I promise, you will eventually laugh!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #17 of 19

Oh no you poor things.................as a hairstylist I've seen many many cases of head lice. You did the right thing to cut their hair, it's so difficult to treat someone with super long hair.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you, but you may want to wash all of their bed linens and pillows in very hot water and dry on high heat. Sometimes the buggers or their eggs can get on there and even though they won't survive for long without a food source, it is possible.

I wish you lived near me I'd have your kids into my salon for a little pampering............and Mom too! It sounds like you could all use it.

Good luck!
Deb

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #18 of 19

Oh man have I been through this. It was so bad at my kids school the darn things started to be immune to the treatment. I finally couldn't stand putting all that pesticide on my kids heads and started for looking for another solution. It may sound gross but mayonaise does the trick. I guess it smothers them. It has to be real mayonaise. I would just cover there heads in it put a shower cap on there heads and make them sleep in it. My kids are 17, 22 and 23 and still can't stand the smell of mayo. Of course then you have to wash all the bed clothes but you got to do that anyways. Remember, whatever you treat them with you have to retreat a week or so later. And I know what you mean about the long hair. Thank goodness I only have one daughter. I would just shave the boys head and at least I just had one head of long hair to go through.

mkolmar Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #19 of 19

Thanks for the well wishes. I have everything on lock down at my house. All the bedding has been removed and pillows. All of their stuffed animals that they cuddle with in bed is now in sealed plastic bags in our storage unit.
I've sprayed down mattresses, curtains, carpet, couches and chairs and our cars with a spray that kills lice and dust mites.
I spent a total of 6 hours yesterday and 4 today going through hair. I feel like a monkey picking through my kids hair after a while. My poor kids have been doing pretty good to sitting down and trying to stay still. I wear latex gloves while going through their hair so nothing can get trapped under my nails and get spread somewhere else. If this doesn't kill my washer and dryer I don't know what will.
I put some hydrogen peroxide on their hair for a little bit today to try to help heal their scalp some. Probably not the best for their hair but after their skin starting coming off slightly I was worried.
I'll do the mayo on Saturday.
This is the 2nd time my girls have had lice. Each time caught from a class mate. This will probably sound horrible but my greatest fear (other than the normal parent fears) is swarms. If more than 2 bugs are in an area that's a swarm to me. Their first time having it was 2 years ago. I checked their hair every day after that for about 4 months. Then I went to every 2 days, then every 3 days. I now check their hair every week, and will go no longer than 1 week without checking. My DH always said I was crazy for still checking them since it's been 2 years, that is until yesterday. I knew my crazy psycho tendencies would come in useful one day. icon_lol.gif

Dkelly-I would love some pampering and I'm sure my girls would too. I wish I lived closer.

Thanks for all the good hair stories. I have to say waking up to a surprise hair cut would be horrid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%