I Must Be Cranky Today...another Random Vent

Business By costumeczar Updated 27 May 2009 , 2:54pm by playingwithsugar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 11

I keep getting "sales leads" from wedding wire and eventective that are completely unmatched to me. This time it was a party for 300 people, total budget for the party $3000, and they want a cake for all 300. I'm not even going to bother responding, since the cost for renting a venue, food, etc. will probably leave about $300 for the cake.

Most times it's for events that are waaaaay out of my delivery area, or it's people who are looking for event planners or caterers, neither of which I do.

It just wastes my time! Time that I could be on CC posting my complaints!!! icon_twisted.gif

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 11

That total budget field is relatively new and I dont' think brides/clients have figured out how to fill it in.

Eventective is primarily a find-a-venue-site. So I think the dollar figure they put down is what they want to pay for a venue. I've seen some where the math just doesn't work. They've put down $1000 for "total event budget" but have indicated 200 people with a catering budget of $15 each ($3000). I had another with a budget of $1500 for 300 people.

I tend to igore the "total event budget" figure. I think they fill in that amount for the venue, then go on down the form and check off "oh yeah send me info on this that and the other, too!"

At least you can choose which ones you respond to and which ones you can delete.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It just wastes my time! Time that I could be on CC posting my complaints!!! icon_twisted.gif

Oh, here, honey, some badges to get you through when you have to be away from what you do best. icon_lol.gif

Hey, when you opened that door, it said Welcome on it.

Sent with LOL hugs -

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 11

I don't deal with them, so I can't help.
BUT, I have just read your other post, and just wanted to say i am so sorry you're having such a bad day. I hope things get better for you soon!

<<hugs!>>

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 11

Ha! Yeah....I am about DONE with weddingwire. They send leads from 250 miles away! I keep apologizing to these people (if they are real, or just randomly programmed leads to make you think you're getting exposure).....I have set my location...I have talked to customer service...nothing changes. And trust me, there is no reason why anyone in the big city 250 miles away would have any reason to use me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 11

I just never really have any brides contact me back/respond to my emails. So I've held off on putting more money into it.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:22am
post #7 of 11

Yeah, I have a storefront on Wedding Wire...none of the prospective brides that I have responded to ever ask for a consult. Most are in Dallas--2 hours away.

And now they want to "purchase" credits for a potential bride that will not even look twice at my "quote". No thank you...I am busy enough without have to BUY a lead!

I have 9 weddings book next month--all with local advertising, word of mouth and local bridal shows.

costumeczar Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:42am
post #8 of 11

One of the photographers I know said that he spoke to one of the wedding wire founders at some big convention he went to, and was interested to hear that the lifespan of those wedding referral sites is about 2 years. They plan for the site to be up and active for 2 years, then they apparently start to outlive their usefulness or something.

Maybe 2 years is the average time that it takes for vendors to sign up, pay for referrals, then realize that it isn't helping their business and quit!

And thanks for the buttons, Theresa! My college roommate and I once decided that we'd been too bitchy the year before, so we were going to be nice and sweet for the upcoming college year. My mother told us that we couldn't be nice and sweet if we tired!!! My own mother!!! Oh, but she was right! icon_lol.gif That impulse lasted about 10 minutes.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

And thanks for the buttons, Theresa! My college roommate and I once decided that we'd been too bitchy the year before, so we were going to be nice and sweet for the upcoming college year. My mother told us that we couldn't be nice and sweet if we tired!!! My own mother!!! Oh, but she was right! icon_lol.gif That impulse lasted about 10 minutes.

I have more if you would like them. icon_lol.gif Here - put this on your business card.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

costumeczar Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 11

Have you seen the one with a similar smiling woman that says "I finished your laundry...the ashes are in the fireplace." I have that on my refrigerator! It scares my husband icon_twisted.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 11

No, but you can send it to me. I'll hang it up when my son's work uniforms pile up in front of the washer. I'll hide his wash, then send him a text telling him his wash is done, see the note on the dryer, and let him panic. icon_lol.gif

Hey, I'm the Mom, not the indentured servant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%