Using Ribbons On Cakes

Decorating By tincanbaby Updated 28 May 2009 , 7:10pm by sara91

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #1 of 11

Is there a special type of ribbon to use on buttercream cakes? How do you stop the bleeding from colors like red, black, dark purple ,etc. ribbons ,or bleeding of grease through the ribbon when applied onto buttercream frosted cakes.
I am sure this has already been covered somewhere, somehow...I just don't have time to read through every post to find it.
Thanks

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 11

It's a common problem. A lot of my brides request ribbon. The icing I use crusts very well. I apply the ribbon when I assemble the cake at the venue, so the icing is nice and crusted (nice and soft on the inside, though) and there are no wet spots to mar the ribbon.

If you dont' use a crusting icing or cant' wait for the icing to dry, I will pre-coat the entire length of ribbon in crisco. This "bleeds" the entire ribbon in a uniform color (no spots). Test the ribbon, first, though. Doing this to navy blue ribbon will turn it black (I had to run out and buy new ribbon!).

suzannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannette Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 11

line the back of the ribbon with clear packing tape. this keeps the oil from discoloring the ribbon and is super easy to remove from the cake for cutting.

suzannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannette Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #4 of 11

line the back of the ribbon with clear packing tape. this keeps the oil from discoloring the ribbon and is super easy to remove from the cake for cutting.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannette

OMG !!!
I so would of never thought about doing that great tip. Thank You !!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 11

I "personally" wouldn't use ribbons on a cake. I've seen professionals do it, well known decorators do it and hobbyists do it. I'm not sure if some of them use a special type of ribbon. I don't think it kills someone to put it but I'd rather not, since most ribbons aren't really made for food.

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:55am
post #7 of 11

"line the back of the ribbon with clear packing tape. this keeps the oil from discoloring the ribbon and is super easy to remove from the cake for cutting."

Ok, that is genius!! I always try and line mine with wax paper, what a waste of time!

PS how do you do that thing where a quote shows up in a white box in your post?

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:09am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by caincakemaker

PS how do you do that thing where a quote shows up in a white box in your post?

in each pink box where your post is, on the right top hand corner is a small rectangle white box ^^ up here with the word quote on it just click on that on the post you want to quote...if that makes sense lol

You can also delete some of that they said by jsut deleting the text you don't want as long as you have the [quote=......] and the [/quote] at either end of the sentence you want.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:33am
post #9 of 11

I agree about ribbons on cakes not being made for food. Usually they sit in dusty shops and are not handled as a food item, so there is no concern for hygeine.

I may purchase ribbon that was in a sealed container but not lengths of it from a shop.

Last time I bought some ribbon this way the lady took out the length and the excess went all over the floor and she just picked it up and carried on.
This would not have mattered if it were not for a cake.

Also many manufacturers use formaldehyde when the finish the ribbons, clothes and materials. TOXIC
(this is why you should also wash new clothes to remove this chemical before you wear them)

Bottom line is use ribbons that are made for the food industry.

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone that responded. I also checked on the Wilton site. Somebody there stated to iron the wax paper to the ribbon, the wax coats it to make it foodsafe. Anyone hear of this method?

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 11

The ribbon I was talking about is poly ribbon. Most bakery reps carry it and it is usually food safe. It is good for cream and butterceam as it will not absorb fat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%