Crisco - Butter Flavored Or Regular?

Baking By cakefairy03 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm by renee2007

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 7

I usually use the regular but have noticed the butter flavored in the store. Anybody tried both? Or prefer one over the other? Just curious to hear before I try it out. Thanks!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

Many people use it with good results, so I'll preface this with "give it a try and see what you like or not like" about it.

I used the butter flavored once in my snickerdoodle cookies, and, well .... let's just say I tried it ONCE .... and months later, threw the almost-full can in the trash.

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 7

I was wondering the same thing the other when I was at the store and saw it, but ended up with the regular... Guess, I'll try it and see, you just never know til you try like Debi said!

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #4 of 7

I just tried the butter flavored shortening last week and I didnt like it...I have been using the High Ratio shortening ever since I found sugarshack's recipe.
However,I would not use butter flavored buttercream,because I dont like the strong smell and on the other hand, most of the time...I don't need the yellowish color in my icing.Other than that...I find the texture to be very soft and difficult to crust...but that can be the humidity the day I was making my frosting.....
all in all,I don't like it...if I'd need the butter flavor,i'd just add the flavoring in my frosting.
Thats my personal experience and opinion,Hope it helps.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #5 of 7

i love the butter flavor. That is all I use anymore. To me, it gives whatever I am making, sweet or savory, a much richer flavor. but then i am from the south and everything tastes better with butter!!! thumbs_up.gif thank you paula deen!!!

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 7

I used it a few times - I think shortening in 1c sticks is the greatest invention of the last decade! But the butter ones are yucky, IMO. I'm from the South too - you could almost ice a cake with my sweet tea it's got so much sugar in it! But I'm sticking with real butter! I think the sticks have a weird smell and I don't like the bright yellow - just seems too fake to me.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 7

I used it once when I didn't have the regular one and I haven't used it again. I did not like it at all. I guess it just depends on your own taste. try it and see. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%