To Funny

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 27 May 2009 , 3:33am by indydebi

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 15

So I just wanted to share this. I went to Denver this weekend to visit family (I live in Missouri) and while there my oldest sister who decorated cakes when her daughters were small decided to send me home with all of her shaped cake pans as well as all of her old Wilton Yearbooks. I have been laughing for 2 days at these yearbooks. They are all from the early 80's and the cakes as the gawdyest things I have ever seen. On the good side however, the decorating tips they gave in those old books are really cool. I have now learned more about color flow which I have allways wanted to try and about making rose buds on a flat surface. The one thing I would like to know more about are the Beveled cake pans. They are round pans but when you turn out the cakes the top edges are actually beveled in. Has anyone ever used these and how do they look when done? Now I just have to find a reason to make a Ziggy, a Holly Hobby and a host of other older shaped cakes.

14 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 15

Dang, do you know how rare and expensive those beveled cake pans are? I got dibs if you don't want them! They are similar to a contour pan when done, but with a flat edge instead of a curved one. Easier to smooth than a contour pan, because all the edges are straight lines. Just more edges to smooth.

I bid on a set of them on eBay about 2 years ago, and they sold for almost $150!

I love old-school decorating, so I would be in my own little heaven with those books. Can you scan the part about the rosebuds and PM it to me? I have a dickens of a time with them. Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakesbyCindi Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 15

I too would like to know about the beveled cake pans. I bought pans (all) from a lady who was retiring from cake decorating, and a set of these were included, haven't used them yet, but would like to. Are they easier to ice with buttercream or cover with fondant? They look like they would make a beautiful cake, any pictures out there using these pans?

bbmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 15

I got 2 old wilton books when I helped my m-i-l move 1983 and 84 and they are fun and funny. They do have loads of basic info in them. I love that they show all the tips and what you can do with them,When I first took my cake classes I would spend hours going over those 2 books again and again. I have some of the newer wiltons-the past couple of years, but for some reason they arent as interesting.

CakesbyCindi Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 15

Oooh- Playingwithsugar, just read your post. $150.00 wow... I paid $120.00 for all her pans, hex, round, square, heart & beveled. All complete sets. I now feel justified in my expenditure.... Yeah!

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #6 of 15

The only time I ever saw a pic of a cake made with those pans is when I was bidding on them. I don't know if it was the stock pic from Wilton or if it was something that the seller had done. It looked really cool.

Since the edges are all flat, as opposed to the curved edges of the contour pan, I would assume that either method would be easier than with the second pans. But I would also venture to guess that they look better with a fondant-covered cake, as the contour pan does.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 15

I would love to get my hands on beveled pans. I hate the edges of contour pans!

CakesbyCindi Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #8 of 15

Oooh- Playingwithsugar, just read your post. $150.00 wow... I paid $120.00 for all her pans, hex, round, square, heart & beveled. All complete sets. I now feel justified in my expenditure.... Yeah!

BMartin Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 15

I agree with the OP. Those old wilton books are loaded with info.
And did you notice the size of the old shape pans?
I too have the holly-hobbie, Ziggy, Pink Panther... just to name a few.
My mom once did cakes and when I started doing them she gave me all the stuff she had saved(late 70 thru mid 80's).
Although I rarely have the need for the shaped pans some of the stuff is GREAT!!!!

Melvira Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 15

Holly Hobby... just those two words bring my oldest sister to mind. She LOVED Holly Hobby in the 70's. Good memories! Sounds like you raked in a fun little haul there! And isnt' it funny to look back at stuff? It's like that email that has gone around with JCPenny's ads from the 70's. Man... funny stuff, but it was the essence of cool then. icon_lol.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #11 of 15

Playing, Girl unfortunately The bevled pans were not in my "haul" I had just seen them in the yearbooks and thought they were cool. I will try to scan the rosebud info.
Melvira, You should make your sister the Holly Hobby cake. I know where you can get the pan icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Melvira, You should make your sister the Holly Hobby cake. I know where you can get the pan icon_wink.gif

Hahaha, I might have to do that! thumbs_up.gif

mandyloo Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #13 of 15

Aren't the old yearbooks great?! My mom found me one at the thriftstore from 1967...so cool. icon_razz.gif

Doug Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #14 of 15

as an owner of a set of those beveled pans (now who did I outbid?) ---

they were originally intended for doing Lambeth method work on cakes.

bake a normal round tier. bake the same size bevel. top round w/ bevel and have at it with tons upon tons of overpiping.

the beveled edge makes the very tall overpiped decoration easier to accomplish.

indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #15 of 15

Do you have the issues where Wilton was trying to push circus colors for wedding cakes? omg, even when I bought that yearbook NEW, I was praying no bride would order a wedding cake in those awful colors! (And remember, when the books come out new, we, of course, tend to think it's THE most current and popular trend, but man, those pink-purple-and-orange wedding cakes were ugly even back then!)

Otherwise, I'm one of those oldies who LUVS looking at the older books!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%