Need Advice Real Quick!!!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 27 May 2009 , 1:41pm by yamber82

yamber82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 7

i have 2 cakes this weekend for the same party. both are pretty time-consuming. and i also have a 9 month old. mil was scheduled to babysit thurs and fri. party is sat. i usually take the cake out thurs nught late to thaw in the fridge and decorate the day before the party but in this case i was going to take them out wed night since it's gonna take so long to get them done and i pretty much can't get anything done unless i have someone to watch zander. so.... i just found out pawpaw (mil's dad) who is like 93 has to have major surgery on thurs cause they found cancer, so obviously mil is gonna be at the hospital all week. which means i don't have a babysitter. i have no idea what i'm gonna do!!! i was thinking of taking the cakes out late tonight and putting them in the fridge to thaw which means they will be "out" for 4 days. i have never left a cake out that long so i' nervous about it. i am seriously considering putting the fondant covered cakes in the fridge when i get them done too so i can get to work asap on it. i am so afraid i won't have time to get them both done before the party icon_sad.gif

any advice?! i'm using a bhg fudge frosting for one of the cakes fillings, regualr store bougth strawberry icing for the other and the wilton recipe bc on both. i also make my own mmf so not sure how that will hold up in the fridge.

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #2 of 7

I think it will be fine esp if you keep it refrigerated (if you have room?).

Definitely use a playpen and maybe even high chair, bouncy seat, jumper, whatever you have. haha. And take advantage of naptime and after bedtime. You can do it! icon_smile.gif

Anyway yeah at the catering place I was at, everything stayed refrigerated but they started thawing cakes Monday for the weekend....and we worked on them throughout the week in stages.

AfordRN Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #3 of 7

Because of my job I have to decorate ahead. I frequently will have a cake filled and frosted on Thurs night, then decorate on friday and they don't get cut into til Sunday. I use non-perishables in the frosting and fillings.

I don't have the room in my fridge, so they sit in my storage room.

Deb_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 7

OK take a deep breath, you can do this.

Try to do as much as you can ahead of time....................

1) make any fondant figures/decorations and place them someplace safe.

2) Cover your cake boards.

3) Make your fillings.

I would stay on your regular decorating schedule. If the baby naps use that time to fill/crumbcoat and ice. When the baby goes to bed for the night (hopefully) then you get busy decorating and doing the final touches.

If you've never let your cake recipe sit out for 4 days before, maybe you could use a simple syrup on each layer to help them stay moist.

You could get some orders from other guests at the party, so you'll want them to be your best.

Good luck, you'll be fine. I hope Grandpa will be OK too!

yamber82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 7

thanks for the encouragement icon_smile.gif

i just know it usually takes me all day to do a cake like both of these. and i have never used the can frostings either so i don't know if they'll stay good sitting out. some of you guys said yall leave cakes out for a week? is that out out or in the fridge out? i'm nercvous about refrigerating the fondant.

Deb_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 7

I don't refrigerate any of my cakes. In MA I can't sell perishable goods so technically my cakes shouldn't need refrigeration.

I made a cake on Saturday morning (for home) it's been out on my kitchen counter under a glass cake dish since then. We had a piece last night 3 days later and it was still very moist and delicious.

I would say up to 5 days (at room temp) is good, after that I notice a difference in the texture/taste of the cake, it's just not as *fresh* tasting. It's still edible though, of course weather plays a big roll as well.

Can I ask why are you using the *canned* frosting? Was it a specific request from the client? If not, maybe you could make your regular frosting, at least you know for sure how it will hold up.

Good luck!

yamber82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 7

thanks. and yea that was the request. it's her little girl's fave. i put the cakes in the fridge last night and i am going to fill, carve and ice them this evening. my mil is going to watch lo tonight so i'm thinking i might even start covering them in fondant also tonight. there are no garantees i will have time to do it later as that's the only time i will have a babysitter and they are both 3 tiers. it just feels really weird to decorate a cake and just have it sitting there for 3 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%