Wrinkles In My Fbct...help! What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By Teensala Updated 27 May 2009 , 12:01am by artscallion

Teensala Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hello...can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? I have made a great number of FBCT's. But, for some reason the last 4 have wrinkles in them once they have been layed on the cake. I have lost my touch! For the life of me I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I live in England and I am thinking that maybe since we don't have AC and it has been warm as of late that the transfers were already in the process of melting as I was taking the wax paper off. Any suggestions?

Or does anyone have a recipe that produces guaranteed results every time?

I have another FBCT that needs to be placed on a graduation cake for 500 this Friday and am afraid that I will end up with wrinkles again.

Any advice from the experts will truly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tina

5 replies
artscallion Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

That I have no idea what an FBCT even is speaks to the fact that I'm not the expert you seek. Though I felt compelled to express my sadness upon learning that you had wrinkles in yours. Best of luck icon_wink.gif

peg818 Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 6

if you are using a crusting buttercream. Let the transfer thaw then crust then if there are wrinkles, use a smooth cloth (here in the states i use viva paper towels) Parchment would work, and lay on top of the design and smooth out.

If you are using a non crusting buttercream then if you have wrinkles after putting the transfer on the cake, lay a piece of parchment on top of it and smooth it out, place the cake with the parchment still in place in to the fridge or freezer let the transfer get solid again then remove the paper.

My guess is since you are dealing with a great deal of humidity that, that is whats causing you grief. I think the moisture is being absorbed into your waxed paper causing the wrinkling effect. You could also try making your transfer on parchment that may not absorbed as much of the moisture thats in the air.

good luck.

tcturtleshell Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 6

I live in the deep south where it is very hot & humid. I know what your talking about. I finally figured it out. It was melting to fast & when I took the wax paper off it made it crinkle/wrinkle. Now I put my iced/frosted (whatever you say in England) cake in the freezer & I apply the FBCT while it & the cake are still in the freezer. That has stopped all the wrinkles. Hope it works for you too~ Happy FBCTing~

madgeowens Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 6

artscallion........fbct = frozen butter cream transfer

artscallion Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, Madge. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%