How To Make Graduation Caps

Decorating By dlbrown Updated 27 May 2009 , 12:00am by Loucinda

dlbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlbrown Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 3

I want to try making a graduation cap for the top of my cake. I see pictures in the gallery, but don't have a clue how they've done them. Are they made w/half a round ball cake pan? Is the "cap" made from gum paste or covered cardboard? Does the gumpast get hard enough to stay flat? Any help greatly appreciated...

2 replies
Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 3

There are a couple of different ways you can go about making a graduation cap. One... you could bake a larger than normal cupcake, use it upside down and use like foamcore cut into a square and cover it with fondant as the top of the cap. for the tassle you can always use a clay gun. When I did mine, I covered a plastic coctail glass with fondant so it was very lightweight and didn't need support, cut foamcore into a square and covered with fondant and then stuck them together and used a clay gun for the tassle. Good luck

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 3

I made one with candy melts - it is in my pics, the bottom part was solid - I made it in a small bowl - I didn't use any special supports for it - it set just fine on a 6" cake. I made the tassel with gumpaste - and used the extruder to make it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%