Need Ideas For Theatre Grad.

Decorating By Bohnlo Updated 31 May 2009 , 7:46pm by andiesweet

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 22

My son just graduated college with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre, and I am wanting to make him a graduation cake for his party. I know you are all so creative icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and I was looking for some ideas on decorations for his cake. I thought of the comic-tragedy masks, but have no idea how to go about making them. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. TIA
Lori

21 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 22

Those masks are the first thing that comes to everyone's mind.

Tell me how many people you are going to serve, and I will come up with something. I have an idea already, but I want to make sure it's doable with the size you need.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bohnlo Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 22

playingwithsugar....I will probably need a cake to feed approx 35 people.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 22

I just did a cake for a theater grad. It was a stage and marquee. It is posted in my pics. Maybe you could use some of the elements.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 22

What about a round cake with the comedy/tragedy masks on top, then fondant curtains on the cake. You could have them draping down all around the cake, and have them pulled back on one side. Decorate the part that's open like a stage, with little footlights at the base of the cake, and a fondant stage and backdrop on the side of the cake. If you're artsy you could cover the whole cake with white fondant first, then do the curtains in red and paint the stage floor and backdrop on the white fondant that's exposed. I hope that makes sense...I can see it so clearly in my own head icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 22

I was thinking the same as costumeczar, but I was going to go with 3-8" square cakes, stacked and punch-filled, covered w/fondant on 3 sides and top, front to be draped into side curtains, valance, and traveler.

Or the outside of a theater, with a marquee with the the words Now Playing and your son's name on it, doors, and an EI poster on the side with a pic of your son, cap and gown, diploma in hand.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bohnlo Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:02am
post #7 of 22

Thank you KyleKaitlyn, Costume Czar and Playingwithsugar for your quick responses. I knew there were clever people here on CC. I like the masks, and suggestion on what to use for a mold? And I like the idea of a stage and marquee any ideas on how to make that stand up? Gumpaste? Wouldn't fondant be too soft? Do you think that a stage with marquee on top and smaller masks on stage would look ok? As you can tell, I have difficulty in making decisions icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thanks for all your help, you guys rock!

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 22

The easiest way to make the stage as described by KyleKaitlyn is to cut a cake board to the needed size/sizes and cover it/them with fondant (use piping gel to adhere).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kylekaitlyn Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 22

I made the both the marqueee back of the stage out of gumpaste. The Curtain was fondant (rolled thick). That gave me the most difficulty. It kept wanting to pull and tear or fall off. Luckily I had enough time to let it dry horizontally. I secured wooden dowels to the back of the stage and marquee with gumpaste and put them through to the bottom of the cake. They held up surprisingly well. HTH

kylekaitlyn Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 22

I didn't think of using a cake board for the back. (Duh!) I also wanted to add academic elements, so there were books, a globe, and the graduate in appropriately colored cap, gown, tassle, etc.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #11 of 22

What about a large Oscar statuette? The base could be cake covered in fondant and painted to look like wood. Then the Oscar could be RKT covered in either fondant or modeling chocolate and painted with gold lustre dust. You could even put a RI plaque on the front of the 'wood base' that had his name, degree, school, etc.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #12 of 22

what specialty of Theatre was his BFA in -- Acting? Directing? Lighting? Sets? Costumes? Make-up? Sound?

Could custom tailor the cake to his specialty.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #13 of 22

I have a theater grad cake due next week too!! Ugh.. i've been stressing about it for weeks.

Maybe you could find a chocolate mold (a large one) for a theater mask. I just saw a cake on flickr that had one. Or a movie reel.. or hmmmm..

I have actually been googling a lot of high school music (lol..) cakes because a lot of them center around a stage w/ draping curtains. It's a good place to start to look for ideas.

For my cake.. they want three tiers.. so I have to work around that.

I was going to do drapes/curtains on one tier and in the middle of that tier have the three spotlight circles w/ 2009 in the middle (it's a HS graduate). Besides that, i'm CLUELESS. I don't know what to do for the other tiers and have it still be cohesive icon_sad.gif

Good luck and i'll keep spitting out ideas to you as I think of them icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #14 of 22

Get some styrofoam eggs and trace the pattern from one of these onto them. Then press in the styrofoam where needed to make the form.
Then lay your gumpaste over it and cut out the pattern. Personally, I like the first one - it's different.

http://www.shakespearesden.com/italian-comedy-tragedy-masks.html
Then paint as desired.

Please take step-by-step photos of whatever method you make them and post them for us.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kylekaitlyn Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #15 of 22

For the masks, what about putting gumpaste over the face of a doll for the general shape, then adding the details in subsequent layers?

Bohnlo Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #16 of 22

Thanks so much to all of you, and playing with sugar thanks for the pictures of the masks, that gives me a place to start. Will post pic when its done. Thanks again. Oh, and his major is in acting.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #17 of 22

When you say theatre, red comes to my mind. How about a stage with red curtains?

sweet_teeth Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

When you say theatre, red comes to my mind. How about a stage with red curtains?

I agree.. which is what I'm trying to do for my theater grad. Im having trouble tying in a stage w/ red curtains w/ teh rest of the cake though (it's 3 tiers..)

Hmmmmmmm. The colors she likes are blue, orange, yellow, and green. I can always void those colors though if it wouldn't go w/ the stage. She wants it more whimsy than traditional, as well.

Oh, and let me add, she's also an artist (painter..)

I'm stumped!

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #19 of 22

i did a stack of books with a mask and graduation cap, it's in my pics...for the mask i just bought a cheap plastic mask from micheal's, dusted it w/ ps and covered it w/ gumpaste. good luck!

sweet_teeth Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong9664

i did a stack of books with a mask and graduation cap, it's in my pics...for the mask i just bought a cheap plastic mask from micheal's, dusted it w/ ps and covered it w/ gumpaste. good luck!

I LOVE that cake. It's actually already in my favs icon_smile.gif I sent it to her as a recommendation actually but she didn't like the idea of books... boo icon_sad.gif

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #21 of 22

awww thanks alexandrabill, that's very sweet! icon_wink.gif

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:46pm
post #22 of 22

You could make a sheet to look like a stage, with stage lights wood planks for the floor etc, and the mask on the stage. make your curtains out of something that dries hard like pastillage ( or gumpaste if not humid climate) and stand them up wioth dowel or skewers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%