Michelle Foster's Fondant

Decorating By all4cake Updated 28 May 2009 , 3:41pm by Peridot

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 6

I found this recipe as easy if not easier to mix up than mmf. I got started with white. Then, I started thinking it'd be nice to have some pink...oh, my goodness...black! yeah and red...then on and on it went until I had made a total of 18 single batches (updated recipe posted w/ 2 tblsp glycerin...). I think I now have enough fondant to last a bit!

The black is black black and the red is deep dark red...both of which I hate to color after the fondant is made or with pre-made, purchased fondant. I'll find out tomorrow how well they do.

The larger squares are double batches and the smaller ones (blue and purple) are single batches.
LL

5 replies
sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

That is an awesome rainbow of fondant? A couple of questions? What size mixer do you have that you can make a double batch? How long will it take you to use all of that fondant?

all4cake Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 6

I used a KA 5 qt.. I did the heating process over a pot of heated water. After the mixture was heated through and the gelatin dissolved, I added 1/2 the sugar and beat using the paddle for several minutes. I then poured the mixture into a trough made of the remaining ps and with 2 bench scrapers began folding ps into the mixture and the mixture into the ps until there was a dough like feel to it. Then, I kneaded the remaining flour into it. it was smooooooooooooth. There were no gelatin lumps to strain either.

The white I can use up in 3 weeks- month...the colors, longer. I do plan on trying some more daring styles (daring for me that is)

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

WOW! Your colors came out fantastic - the red and black are GREAT!!! What did brand color did you use and how much to each batch?

all4cake Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 6

Thank you! For the black, I used Chefmaster...1 tblsp and that was for a double batch (approximately 7 lbs). For the red, I used 1 full jar (1 ounce) of the Wilton red (no taste) and 3 drops(slightly less than 1/8 teaspoon) of the Chefmaster black and this too was for a double batch (approximately 7 lbs)

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 6

all4cake - Thanks for replying back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%