How Much Is A 50 Lbs Bag?

Decorating By Katiekatiekatie Updated 27 May 2009 , 10:50pm by Katiekatiekatie

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 11

Can anyone tell me what they pay for a 50 lb bag of white cake mix? I have someone that can get me it from a distributor butI want to make sure the price is right. I want to really start experimenting with some of the cake flavors I found on the gourmet thread. Thought this might be a good way to save some money.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Katie

10 replies
JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 11

Oh jeeze Ive never looked at the invoices at work. I dont bake so I never really paid attention. Im curious too, actually. For me, though, the 98 cent box of betty crocker has worked great for me!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 11

My husband works for a food distribution company and has priced out 30 lb. boxes for me. It varies tremendously by brand name, but here's what he got me on yellow cake:

Krusteaz $48.24
CMI $17.84
Golden Dip $36.47
Dawn $35.91
Pillsbury $49.11

See what I mean? Maybe it will give you some sort of an idea. HTH

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 11

I dont know what the price is either. But if I was going to do a price comparison I would see how many boxes you can get out of the 50 pd bag of mix and then see how much it would cost you to buy all those boxes individually.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 11

Multiply 50 lbs times 16 to get the number of ounces = 800 oz.

Then divide that by the number of ounces per box (I think it's 18.5)
800/18.5 = 43.24 boxes per 50 lbs net weight.

Then multiply that by cost per box - 43.25 x .96 per box =

$41.52 to buy the same amount retail.

That's using my nearby Wal-Mart everyday prices for all three major brands, DH, BC, and Pillsbury.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Katiekatiekatie Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 11

WOW! Hello thats why I love you girls!!!

You always have the ideas that slip my mind!

I have to see what he is going to charge me!

Thanks again!
Katie

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 11

Don't some of those big bag mixes already have eggs (dehydrated/powdered) added, so all you need to add is water and maybe oil? If so, take into consideration the cost of eggs added or subtracted.

playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Don't some of those big bag mixes already have eggs (dehydrated/powdered) added, so all you need to add is water and maybe oil? If so, take into consideration the cost of eggs added or subtracted.

I'm so glad you mentioned that. I don't use them, so I failed to take that into consideration. Yes, if she gets an Add-Water-Only type of mix, she would have to deduct the cost of those ingredients. But then, she would be getting less actual cake mix, so she would have to go back to the calculator and figure out how many sets of 2 - 8x2 layer cakes she would get out of the bag. Then she would have to calculate the cost of all the ingredients, and subtract the lower total from the higher total to see which would cost more.

Does that make sense? It would be easier for me to do explain it as I do the math, but I don't have all the prices in front of me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Katiekatiekatie Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #9 of 11

yikes then I wonder how that would work with the doctored cake mixes it might just mess it up!

ARGGG!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:50am
post #10 of 11

katie -

If you're talking about using an extender, like to make WASC, you would really have to experiment with it to find out. It may lead to too much of some ingredients, not enough of others, and you may end up with a flat cake.

There are some really good books on ratio experimentation out there.
Bakewise, by Shirley Corriher (my culinary hero), talks about leavenings for cakes, and how doubling, etc, recipes can alter outcome.
I believe Ruth Levy Beranbaum also talks about this in The Cake Bible, but it's been so long since I read it that I don't remember for sure if it was her book or not.
Ratio, by Michael Ruhlman, is out now, and is a book that covers ratios of ingredients in foods of all kinds, not just baking.

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Katiekatiekatie Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 11

I actually have that book!!!

I'mreading thu it now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%