Fondant Figures To Look Like What They Are Supossed To!??

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 26 May 2009 , 10:30pm by LisaR64

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 4

Ok I need to make Max and Ruby, form the childrens cartoon out of fondant but I am having issues with believe I can even come close to making them look like Max and Ruby! I am seriously considering just buying them, but I really don't want to do that.
So my question is how do you actually get your figures to look like what they are supposed?! For example the expression and what not....how do I get max to look like Max and not just a bunny?? Is it just the detail....is their a trick???
Sorry if this sounds elementarty, but maybe I just need more confidence, I don't know...I just don't know how I am going to get this lump of fondant to replicate a cartoon!?!

TIA,
Ashley

3 replies
sinstl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinstl Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 4

When I have to make figures, I find it easiest to break it down into pieces. Start with his ears and focus on making them look right. Then the head, body, etc. It doesn't seem as intimidating to me to break it into pieces as it would to stare at a lump of fondant and figure out how to make it look like Max.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 4

same here, i try to find a picture where someone has already made them into icing and look at them and break them into sections - like the mickey and daffy in my photos - i looked so carefully at how the original maker had made them and set my laptop on my counter and worked from it.
good luck

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

I think you're on the right track. First look at the character and decide what you think makes that character recognizable. To me, Max & Ruby have unusual shaped faces & ears, so I would start there, getting the shapes right, and then start adding features.

In the past, I've also made a "mold" of character by pressing a plastic toy replica of the character into a ball of fondant, and letting it dry. Then I take a soft ball of fondant/gumpaste and press it into the hardened fondant mold, and then you have an exact replica of the character.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%