Raspberry Filling...?

Decorating By grammynan Updated 2 Oct 2013 , 3:37pm by ddaigle

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 21

I am going to make a wedding cake with homemade raspberry filling. I am using a recipe from here for a seedless filling. My question: how much filling do I use between the layers? Just enough to coat the layer? Or a more thick coating? Like the thickness of using buttercream for the filling?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 21

I use a little more than a thin coating.. if that makes sense. I don't use as much as if I used buttercream... that would be a disaster.. at least for me.

I always crumb coat the top of the layer that I put the filling on.. that just makes me feel better thinking it will help it from seeping into the cake. I always make a thick dam around the cake before I do the filling. I sometimes do a double dam. I don't want my filling too close to the edge.. had a disaster once and don't want to repeat that one!!!

I have started using a filling idea that I got from here. After making my own raspberry filling (I think I got it from here also), I saw a post where someone uses a jar of jam (or preserves) and then the matching jello to go with it. Then.. just pop the jam in the microwave for about a minute (just to warm it a bit).. then dump the jello in the jam... stir till disolved.. then you are done. I pop it in the fridge to set up. I can even put it back in the same jar... and it keeps forever.... or close anyway!!!! Nice reliable filling that you don't have to worry about being too thin, etc..

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 21

I may be wrong with this cause I am new too but I just made a cake last night with raspberry filling. I used buttercream and made a dam around the edge of the cake and then filled the cake with enough filling so it was just below the dam line. That way the filling did not go over the dam and down the side of the cake.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 21

I think the best pieces of advise are to use a stiff dam and to use slightly less filling than what you think is needed. I felt like I slightly overfilled the last cake I did, and thought I was one step away from disaster until I got the cake finished. I don't want to go through that again!

HTH,
Karen

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 21

I was always told to do fillings very thin, especially in wedding cakes. Jams and fruit fillings usually have a strong flavor that you are going to taste even if it is a thin layer. Its just to give them a taste, not a mouthful (sometimes I think it tastes better in moderation, personal opinion of course). There are cakes that call for heaps of filling, though, and they are constructed differently. Wedding cakes, however, are usually not done that way. I never do a huge or thick dam either. The way I was taught, the amount of filling you use in wedding cakes should not be enough to where it will leak out even if you DONT have a dam (although we still use one). Sometimes you just have to judge it yourself based on the consistancy of the filling. When I put raspberry filling on, I can see the cake through it, if that tells you anything.

I have never had a problem with my cakes sliding or bulging or anything weird like that. When Ive eaten cakes filled like this, I still feel satisfied with the flavor (remember there is going to be 2 or 3 layers of it so your customers will get a nice taste).

Anyway I feel like I was really rambling lol. But this is the way I was taught, and the way I found still works for me so I continue to fill my cakes this way.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 21

I use Raspberry Puree Filling by melysa here on cc. It is great! Takes some work to get it through a sieve to make it seedless. It turns out really thick and spreads great. Like others, I stiffen a little buttercream and make a dam using a coupler without a tip, then spread the filling just below the top of dam. Have not had one leak and use the raspberry filling a lot. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I have started using a filling idea that I got from here. After making my own raspberry filling (I think I got it from here also), I saw a post where someone uses a jar of jam (or preserves) and then the matching jello to go with it. Then.. just pop the jam in the microwave for about a minute (just to warm it a bit).. then dump the jello in the jam... stir till disolved.. then you are done. I pop it in the fridge to set up. I can even put it back in the same jar... and it keeps forever.... or close anyway!!!! Nice reliable filling that you don't have to worry about being too thin, etc..

Or you can use unflavored gelatin, I like it better that way.

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:11am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

mcdonald wrote:

Could you possibly share the recipe using the jam and jello? Are you using the jello in the box? and if so, is the big box or little box? And do you make up the jello or just mix the powder into the jam? Thanks!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkinette

Quote:
Quote:

mcdonald wrote:

Could you possibly share the recipe using the jam and jello? Are you using the jello in the box? and if so, is the big box or little box? And do you make up the jello or just mix the powder into the jam? Thanks!

I've done this too. I wish I could find the original post so that I could give credit where it belongs, but ... I used a small box of jello and my jam was 15.5 ounces. Heat the jam and stir the dry jello in until it dissolves. I went ahead and refrigerated my filling after the jello was dissolved. HTH. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #10 of 21

This is a good thread. I just decided last night that I want to start making my own fruit fillings. And of course, I don't have any recipes for it. So this is great! Thanks everyone!

Munchkinette Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #11 of 21

Thank you! After reading this post I sent my hubby to the store for jam and jello. Poor guy had to go 3 different grocery stores to find exactly what I wanted. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #12 of 21

and some of us -- me -- often just use Polaner all-fruit jam, straight from the jar.

just did cake this weekend w/ raspberry filling. 12x18 took two jars to fill.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #13 of 21

You can count me in too!
I mix mine with just enough buttercream to make it spread easier - one of my most popular flavors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and some of us -- me -- often just use Polaner all-fruit jam, straight from the jar.

just did cake this weekend w/ raspberry filling. 12x18 took two jars to fill.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #14 of 21

Everyone has a different way to do this! I think I'm going to have to do some experimenting and see which way I like best!

Munchkinette Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 21

Do cakes w/ the jam/jello filling have to be refrigerated?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 21

I don't refrigerate mine... I do keep my cake in a cool room though. It is jam and it is already "preserved" (if I am saying this right) so there shouldn't be any special needs for this filling.. that's another reason this is such a great filling idea...

I too wish I could remember who posted this wonderful suggestion... it is all I do now.. quick, easy and stable... gotta love it!!!

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 21

Has anyone used these in an outdoor wedding? It will probably be in the 80's. I am using Indydebi's icing, but was trying to do something with the filling, but not sure if I should. I won't be able to refrigerate the cakes.

Vicki

VS8894 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 21

Has anyone used these in an outdoor wedding? It will probably be in the 80's. I am using Indydebi's icing, but was trying to do something with the filling, but not sure if I should. I won't be able to refrigerate the cakes.

Vicki

VS8894 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #19 of 21

Vicki

Stephr29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephr29 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:27pm
post #20 of 21

AGreat post

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:37pm
post #21 of 21

I have the jam/jello recipe posted here on CC.   I only  use the SEEDLESS jam though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%