Michele Foster's Fondant Help :)

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 28 May 2009 , 5:58pm by sweet_teeth

10 replies
sweet_teeth Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 11

Come on.. I know tons of y'all use this recipe icon_smile.gif

I've tried the one w/ the 2tb measurements. It didn't work out well (for me..) so i'm thinking I either did something wrong.. or there is a recipe that works better than that one. They all have a bit different of measurements.

sweet_teeth Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 11

One last shameful bump.. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 11

I made the first one on your list (updated version) last week. Loved the taste, but when I rolled it out I think I should have used crisco on the mat instead of powdered sugar as it tore easily, and seemed too dry, although very soft. Maybe I did something wrong.

Truthfully, going back to using Toba Garrett's recipe

deb

Iva1976 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 11

I have used the 3rd one and it worked great for me....sorry no one has responded to your post.....

dsilvest Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 11

I use the recipe that calls for 2 tbsp.

Make sure that the liquids are not too hot. If they are, you will need too much icing sugar and the fondant will be dry after it rests.

If the liquids are too cool you will need less icing sugar and the fondant will end up too soft after it rests.

I don't use the cream. I have substituted water. The recipe still works fine.

lngo Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 11

Michele Foster actually posted in the recipe section that this is the correct recipe (2 TBS gelatin):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

She tried to remove the other recipes, but for some reason she wasn't able to. I was confused too, which is why I'm glad I came across her post. HTH!

sweet_teeth Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the replies icon_smile.gif It's funny that you three all mentioned a different one.

I ended up doing the one w/ 2tbl's measurements. We'll see how it goes. I've got a back up of Satin Ice so it's no biggie if it's an utter disaster, lol.

margaretb Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 11

ONLY AN AMATEUR HERE

I thought MFF was okay but kind of soft. Then I saw the updated (March) version with 3 TBSP unflavoured gelatin, and it worked MUCH better for me. I also just got some satin ice for the first time, and as far as I can tell from playing with just a pinch of it, it is no better or worse than my homemade MFF, but I definitely do not like the taste -- vanilla, yes, but kind of overwhelming and chemically.

I never noticed before that she says to work in small amounts of GLYCERIN if it is too dry -- I have only tried adding crisco if too dry, so that might make a difference too.

BTW it's not that the 2 tbsp version was an utter disaster, I just found that it was quite soft and I was working in a lot of extra icing sugar.

Until you posted, I didn't know there was an April 09 version as well, but I am going to stick with the 3 tbsp gelatin.

cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:55am
post #10 of 11

I halved one of her recipes and it seriously looked like a giant lump of somewhat mushy powdered sugar. I must have done something wrong with measuring. I need to give it another try though because it was delicious! I think I'll try the 3 TBSP of gelatin!

sweet_teeth Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 11

I have now tried 3tb and 2tb. I think w/ the 3tb I put the mixture in while it was too hot.. and the 2tb I think I put the mixture in when it was too cold.

Both times it came together.. it just teared easily even after letting it sit a few days... and it was REALLY soft.

When I first started out (a little less than a year ago) I could make fondant perfectly.. now that I know all the tips... I think I overthink it and so it always comes out like crap, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%