Cake Boards

Decorating By Honeychild Updated 27 May 2009 , 4:07am by Honeychild

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone make their own cake boards? I have been making mine but I made some with paper wrapping paper and I'm wondering if I should use this if the cake will sit directly on top of it. Would the paper get soggy? I'm using a WASC recipe. Any thoughts or experience with this??

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend placing the cake directly on top of the wrapping paper, the oil will seep into the paper and wrapping paper is not food safe.

Place the cake on a cake circle the exact size of the cake and then place that on the board.

I would cover the wrapping paper with clear film (either shrink wrap, or clear contact paper) first though, as the wrapping paper will end up tearing if left uncovered.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, the paper will get soggy if it isn't covered with something else like contact paper.

bncncnmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bncncnmn Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 8

I covered my white cake with colored paper it stained the bottom of the cake. I had to throw the whole cake away.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 8

if your decorative paper is not greese proof there will be a greese stain around your cake. Not so pretty. Test your paper with a plop of icing for several hours or even over night. And I am pretty sure the paper needs to be food safe. Think glue and ink factories that don't care about their rat population supplying the papermaker. EWWW!

Honeychild Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 8

THanks for that information everyone. I never thought of the food safety issue, good point.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #7 of 8

I so had that happen to me once I was making a cake for my sister . I put my cake directly over the cake board (purchased at a cake shop) and OMG !!! I stood up that night decorating my cake till about 3 :00 am later when I came into kitchen to see it had a ring of grease all around I was afraid I would mess up the cake if I lifted to change the board soooo..............lol!!! Hubby got an exacto knife and cut it all around . I know not to proffessional but it was for my sister so I leared my lesson lol!!!

Honeychild Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8

I so don't want that to happen as this cake is for a wedding.....I will definitely place the cake on an exact size cake board first then put it on the cake board with the paper on it. I would die if I spent that much time on a cake only to be ruined by the cake board!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%